Quality differences between chainsaws bought inside and outside USA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saeed T

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm in the US and buying a light, woodcarving (probably Stihl or Husqavarna) gas chainsaw as a gift for someone I will meet in Istanbul, Turkey. I strongly prefer for the chainsaw to say "Made in US" or "Germany" on it. I've seen Stihl ones on shelves here that say so (more expensive though) but Husqavarna ones say nothing about where they are made in.

I have the option to
1) buy a chainsaw in the US and carry it with me to Turkey
2) buy in Turkey

My question is,
1) especially with regards to the Husqavarna which shows no country of origin, is there possibly any quality difference between the products sold here in US and those in Turkey? If yes, it may be worth buying here and carrying it there.
2) What are the chances I can find a Made in US or Germany Stihl in Turkey which is not authentic? (I've not had luck communicating with Stihl dealers in Turkey)

So in sum, my dilemma is between the pain of carrying a chainsaw with me overseas and the risk of buying a counterfeit outside the safer US market.

Btw, I know the "made in" tag may not be that vital but this person really cares about that.

Buying exactly what you want here and carrying it is a pain but it does guaranty you are successful. I have no clue what the market is over there.

The exchange rate would sway my decision. How strong is your dollar compared too Turkey's. It depends what model you want to buy that will determine where its made. Vaginia beach makes a few of Stihl's pro saws like ms261 ms362?. But the rear handle ms201 is Germany & would make a good carvers s saw, so would the rear handle Echo cs2511w.

Tariffs if any are what will get you. Big reason stihl saws are not as popular in other countries is the massive tariffs on them, partly because Andres Stihl cooperated with the nazis (grudgingly but still...)

Here in the states stihl saws are never on sale. If you call 20 dealers there all within 10 to 15 bucks difference on the same saw. You will never find a new saw on sale. Stihl does not allow there saws to be discounted or put on sale. You pay retail or you buy another brand.

Here in the states stihl saws are never on sale. If you call 20 dealers there all within 10 to 15 bucks difference on the same saw. You will never find a new saw on sale. Stihl does not allow there saws to be discounted or put on sale. You pay retail or you buy another brand.

That's not true. I got my local dealer to knock $80 off a new stihl pro saw.

Hello all. I'm in the US and buying a light, woodcarving (probably Stihl or Husqavarna) gas chainsaw as a gift for someone I will meet in Istanbul, Turkey. I strongly prefer for the chainsaw to say "Made in US" or "Germany" on it. I've seen Stihl ones on shelves here that say so (more expensive though) but Husqavarna ones say nothing about where they are made in.

I have the option to
1) buy a chainsaw in the US and carry it with me to Turkey
2) buy in Turkey

My question is,
1) especially with regards to the Husqavarna which shows no country of origin, is there possibly any quality difference between the products sold here in US and those in Turkey? If yes, it may be worth buying here and carrying it there.
2) What are the chances I can find a Made in US or Germany Stihl in Turkey which is not authentic? (I've not had luck communicating with Stihl dealers in Turkey)

So in sum, my dilemma is between the pain of carrying a chainsaw with me overseas and the risk of buying a counterfeit outside the safer US market.

Btw, I know the "made in" tag may not be that vital but this person really cares about that.
never seen a husqvarna saw that didnt have country of origin on the serial number tag.

That's not true. I got my local dealer to knock $80 off a new stihl pro saw.
Dealers hove told me that Stihl doesn't dictate price. They have the MSRP, and there isn't a lot of margin between what the dealer pays and the MSRP. They make their money on accessories and service more than sale of new equipment.

It used to be my understanding that Stihl did set prices...but I agree that is not true.

Every spring they have "Stihl Days" around here, just about every dealer, its also called a "sale"

Also, if you spend some time talking with your dealer, maybe make the dude laugh once in awhile, even if it is at you... ya might find they ease up on the price from time to time, or stop buying em at hardware stores?

wouldn't the EPA here make a difference between USA saws and European saws? (carb)

Latest posts

Back