Question about climbing spikes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys,

Which spikes do you think are the best?
I am wondering to buy this gear and it would be great if I learn with
who have experience as I am a newbie also!

Any suggestions?

All the best ever!

Marcelo Chaluppe

@Marcelo Chaluppe I bought Steel climbers with replaceable gaffs., two hip prusiks with steel snaps, two wire core 10 foot flip lines, and a saddle. later on i ended up buying a descender, 2 carabiners and 150 feet of climbing rope in case I need a way to quickly get down from a tree rather than spiking down. It will also save time if you just want to top the tree and pull the delimbed trunk over. Later on after i bought that stuff i bought a Big Shot with some throw line and a split tail so if need be I can climb with just the rope and not spike the tree (to keep from damaging it). So far I haven't needed anything else. I don't recommend buying the "spur climbing kits" online because they only come with one flip rope (which isn't good because it doesn't allow you to safely use a saw or go around a branch when going up the truck), because they don't come with rope or descender (it is always a good idea to be able to get down from the tree quickly as is always being connected in two places when using a saw) and because lastly they are normally more expensive than just picking out your own saddle and style of flip ropes. Just what I have learned. So far I have about 10-15 hours climbing experience and my best advice would be, take breaks when your body aches, do not climb if you are sick, dehydrated or remotely hungry, and often you won't be fast starting out at anything but being safe is way more important than being fast

Welcome @Marcelo Chaluppe. As I said I only have 10-15 hours climbing experience but that is just what I have learned in the little bit of time I have been doing it. My advice may not be correct and it is just an opinion of my experiences so far. Also make sure you get a copy of the Tree Climbers Companion. Good luck!

Don't worry about it.

I have a copy of TCC and others books.
My gear is coming and as it arrives I'll be able to practice.

Fortunately I have some experience with chainsaws and other equipments as I
have my own landscape maintenance business.

Don't worry about it.

I have a copy of TCC and others books.
My gear is coming and as it arrives I'll be able to practice.

Fortunately I have some experience with chainsaws and other equipments as I
have my own landscape maintenance business.

I would not attempt to do any tree removals for landscaping customers without tree insurance. Just my one cent

Couple of tips for both of the new climbers.
1) when tied into the tree make sure you are around a strong, healthy limb or around the trunk itself.
2)unless you want to buy a new saw sooner than later always keep your saw attached to you. If you can't reach the cut, reposition. Its also helpful when you need to drop the saw and hold on for the ride.
3) Its a whole different beast using a saw in the tree compared to using it on the ground so always use your lanyard, buckstrap when making a cut. It only takes a split second to cut your rope.
4)As much as a top handle saw seems like a saw for one hand, its not. If you can't reach, reposition. If you need to hold a limb, cut with your chainsaw 3/4 of the way or so and the rest with your handsaw or tie it off. The saw doesn't know or care about the difference between your hand and the tree.
5) Take your time, speed will come with experience.
6) NEVER use your climbing line as a lowering or pull line. Remember, your life is hanging by that line that your dropping trunks on or shocking with a load.
7) Inspect your gear before a climb, especially your rope. You don't have to go crazy doing this, just a quick check of all the key points and running your rope through your hand and flaking it out (you'll feel the cuts if you have one).
8) Learn the right knot for the right job, practice, practice, practice.
9) Feeling more confident in the tree will come with experience. Learn to trust your ropes and spikes.
10) Remember, each wood reacts differently to different cuts.
Hope this helps a little bit atleast. Happy climbing and be safe.

Juttree,

Your tips are so welcome!

As a rookie climber I am, information like that is always big learning.

All the best.

Anytime guys, just be safe. I've heard of and known too many people that have gotten hurt or killed doing tree work. Its a very rewarding but also unforgiving profession.

Don't punish yourself with cheap pads on your spurs. Even when you get them adjusted right they will kill your legs after a couple hours. I got climb right aluminum pads with the velcro straps for a little more than 100 and they made an 8 hour day feel better than 30 minutes on the old pads.

Don't punish yourself with cheap pads on your spurs. Even when you get them adjusted right they will kill your legs after a couple hours. I got climb right aluminum pads with the velcro straps for a little more than 100 and they made an 8 hour day feel better than 30 minutes on the old pads.

I got the velcro cushion wrap pads on my steel bucks. The difference to my old spikes with crappy pads is unbelievable! Having an extra distraction of uncomfortable and painful pads while being up the tree and not very experienced sounds like a bad idea to me. :rolleyes:

Im curious in the picture those r the only spikes ive ever used or had i cant find anything like em on internet they were given to me by my buddy to help me get the hazard trees without getting the lift they get the job done he used em as a very successful climbing freelancer but does anybody know if theyre actually for trees or what

Attachments

• IMG_20181226_063817.jpg
    IMG_20181226_063817.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
When I was in my 20's I bought a basic climbing set up and started using it right away. I am not the type to have heights bother me, but as I got older some times I realize I need to be more cautious. After several years I started noticing blisters on the sides of my legs. Then I realized that my climbing was not a matter of routine. So made a point to practice a little if I had no jobs which helped considerable. However the sides of my legs continued to be raw. The gaffs were moving all around tearing up my legs. One off my legs went through several surgeries and I am lucky to walk let alone climb. That particular side has maybe 10% sense of feeling and then I noticed how I was trying to compensate with my other leg. So bought a big bag of plaster of paris and made a mold of the side of my legs. with some fine tuning got the mold just right. Then made a negative mold from them which I fiber glassed. A little sanding and grinding was needed. The last step was put the gaffs through the formed holes and tighten. Within 15 minutes I had a winner. It still is completely comfortable with out any blisters. Since then I have noticed several companies that offer formed leg supports which might be a productive way to go. Now if I can just figure out not to have the effects of being older. Thanks

Back