Question About Compression And Recommended Repairs Stihl MS 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HappyHomeowner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm wondering whether Stihl recommends a specific amount of compression loss as an official indicator of need to rebuild the saw?

Long story short ... I took my MS 290 to the local Stihl authorized repair and told them it was running poorly and not as much power as new.

They replaced the oiler (which wasn't working well) and did a tune up to include the replacements of spark plug, filters, etc. When I got the saw the first thing I noticed was it definitely did start easier and run smoother but still not as much power as new and started to smell leaner than I think is good after heating up. Then I noticed that on their little ticket checklist the compression was written in as "75 psi". I checked and it actually is 70 to 75. I guess I thought that anything less than like 100 would warrant a rebuild but maybe that's just the folklore I have heard from other folks? I'm just wondering whether this is something that Stihl publishes as an official recommendation of rebuild time? If not, what would be the group's guidance here as far as the number to stop screwing around with tuneups and stuff and start looking at rebuild? Thanks. PS. I'm at about 6500 ft altitude if that matters much. Thanks As Always.

No that’s correct anything under 100 is suspect. The quick and dirty way is the “drop test” grab the starter handle and let the saw fall against the recoil. It should hold or drop very slowly with decompression valve closed.

Back