Question about kevlar chaps/pants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtngun

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Been using a chainsaw almost daily for several years while building a log home and cutting firewood, etc.. I'm normally careful and haven't had any saw injuries, but late this afternoon I was cutting while dead tired -- CSMing all day, then dragging/rolling/shoving/heaving several 14" x 9 foot green logs into the truck, sweating and panting like a dog, then bucking firewood.

Anyhow, I was so tired I can't even remember what exactly happened, except that I was still soaked with sweat and panting from wrestling with those logs, and I wanted to buck a few pieces of firewood to top off the load. Next thing I know, the saw bounced back and grazed my knee. Fortunately, I let off the gas before it hit me, and the chain ground to a halt before it went deep -- only 1/4". So I'll be lame for a week or two but am expected to live. :(

It looks worse than it really is.
knee.jpg

OK, so this reminds me that I am mortal and maybe it would be a good idea to get some kevlar chaps. Ya think ? :buttkick:

Realistically, what can I expect chaps to do ? Do they stop the chain compeletely or merely slow it down quickly so it doesn't cut as deep ? What would chaps have done in this situation ?

Any opinions on whether I should get full wrap arounds or merely chaps that cover the front of the leg ?

I log in steep, brushy, terrain, so mobility is a big deal, and that's what has discouraged me from wearing chaps up till now. You never see any of the local loggers wearing chaps. But that's no excuse.

You got a cheap wake up call. It happens fast. And injuries make the $60 for chaps seem like a real bargain.

Any decent chaps would have probably resulted in no injury for you. Generally the fibers plug up the saw before much skin penetration happens, but naturally injury can still happen -but it is normally reduced tremendously.

PPE is considered wuss stuff for many "loggers" but that is changing fast with the younger generation.

I like the Labonville chaps, but it is largely a matter of cutting style and best fit. Course the best solution is to keep the saw out of your legs.

Last edited:
Realistically, what can I expect chaps to do ? Do they stop the chain compeletely or merely slow it down quickly so it doesn't cut as deep ? What would chaps have done in this situation ?

Any opinions on whether I should get full wrap arounds or merely chaps that cover the front of the leg

You can probably expect not to be posting about a cut on your leg, rather how the chaps prevented an injury,,,get the chaps. Check out Labonville ( a sponsor here) they have a demo.

I use full wrap, but I think many pros use the pants. I'm sure you'll get more responses.

Glad to hear your ok. Good luck.

Since you showed the before pic I will show a after pic of a friend of mine after he got bit by a chainsaw and the doctor fixed him up. He told me it made his ass draw up when they yanked those staples out!
Did you go the hospital?

attachment.php

Chaps

I just today got my first new chainsaw in 30 yrs. After researching this site , the next thing I did BEFORE I got my saw was to order some of the Labonville Chaps.. The wife didn't complain about the cost :) :) so I ordered the helmet with face shield and hearing protection also. I don't think I have seen any one legged LUMBER JACKS!! GET THE CHAPS!!

I just today got my first new chainsaw in 30 yrs. After researching this site , the next thing I did BEFORE I got my saw was to order some of the Labonville Chaps.. The wife didn't complain about the cost :) :) so I ordered the helmet with face shield and hearing protection also. I don't think I have seen any one legged LUMBER JACKS!! GET THE CHAPS!!

Yeah wifey has no problem with me spending of OHS, she can't talk she's fallen off her horse and the danged thing has bitten her twice!!!!

Even though it was embarrassing for me to talk about my booboo, I figured it might inspire someone else to not make the same mistake. Glad you ordered some chaps, Kennygee.

I think I'll order some of those Labanville chaps. If they prevent one trip to the doctor, that justifies the cost of chaps right there.

Chaps

I haven't got a chance to run the saw yet, a Makita/Dolmar 510 ,but when I do I KNOW I will have the chaps on. I am not a Youngster, any more I just try to use my head more,, I am still a student at UHK--Maybe One day I will get a degree, and be able to walk off the stage with it. I encourage everyone to buy and USE their PPE!! It does no good sitting at home or in the truck!!

I never heard of chainsaw chaps until coming around AS. I now wear Labonville chaps. Not only do they protect you from injury, but they keep you pants a lot cleaner and you can snap them off and drive home a lot cleaner from the woods.

I was told I could get a new saw, but I have to get some of the chaps if I want to actually run it. Said she likes all of my parts just where they are. :)

:agree2:
I never gave it a thought to wear any kinda chaps,,pants till I got here too...
Some people like chaps,,I myself like the pants,,but thats just me,,but you get something to protect them legs...hated to see you got hurt,,I been lucky tru the years myself ,but some folks dont think till something bad happens....Hope you get healed up fast,,and you listen to these dudes on here,,they wont steer ya wrong...

this thread has got me thinking , I always wear short pants , so chaps would be a good idea
treecutting006.jpg

I have been using a chainsaw for about 10 years, and just found this site. I also never thought about using chaps untill visiting this site. But, I do know what I am getting for Christmas from the wife, but I guess I am suposed to be really :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop: :jawdrop:

The Labonville chaps are very good chaps, but they tend to be a little bulky and hot. I prefer the SwedePro chaps. They are less bulky and have the same stopping power (Engtex vs. Kevlar/poly). Price is also comparable.

I had some Husqvarna chaps, absolutely horrible, hanging around my middle like a belly, all bunched up. Got some SIP trousers now, type A class1. Nice and mobile, I haven't used them yet though.

Back