Question about Petzl Zigzag with a Figure 8 knot above the "chain element"...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zebco Kid

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All.

Just registered. This is my first post. How exciting!

I have purchased a Petzl Zigzag. I have a couple ropes. One that I would like to use doesn't have a sewn eye.
I understand that Petzl does't recommend a knot attachment, as it can come in contact with the chain element, causing unintended decent.
I climb double rope. I was wondering if it would be appropriate to tie a figure 8 knot above the Zigzag, thus moving the knot further up the rope, and avoiding contact with the Zigzag device.
As an aside, I've notice that the figure 8 knot is not frequently used or mentioned as a life safety knot with the arborist community in comparison to the rock climbing community where it is practically the default connection to their harness, I'm curious why that is.

I attached an illustration of my question. Thank you in advance.
Petzl and Figure 8.png

I haven't climbed with a zigzag, but I don't know why it wouldn't work... just start low and slow, just like any new technique or piece of gear... as far as the bowling versus eight debate, I truly think it is a cultural thing... I have used both and they are both safe, tied dressed and set properly, with a stopper knot of course... I think the advantage a bowline has is mostly just speed of tying, for me anyway.

Thank you, Jolly Logger.

I'm well acquainted with a bowline from boating, and quickly tying up items. I'm also acquainted with a figure 8 from some rock climbing. I understand we're talking about a bowline on a bight, but I've never consider a bowline (in name only) a life safety knot. I know I can, and should. I agree it's more swift. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

ZK

Thank you, Jolly Logger.

I'm well acquainted with a bowline from boating, and quickly tying up items. I'm also acquainted with a figure 8 from some rock climbing. I understand we're talking about a bowline on a bight, but I've never consider a bowline (in name only) a life safety knot. I know I can, and should. I agree it's more swift. I'll check it out. Thanks again.

ZK
Keep in mind, any knot that won't untie and doesn't overly compromise the strength of the rope is safe... I have known climbers that climb on a double half hitch or a clove hitch... not my cup of tea, but honestly as long as they tie a stopper knot it is as safe as any other knot, just a pain to untie once it has been loaded.

Well, in the moments since I replied, I did some searching and came across this Double Bowline. I had been thinking, Bowline on a Bight. I think this one is pretty elegant.

ZK

I have been using an Anchor Hitch. It does seem to get in the way a bit. I'll play with them all. I'm totally enjoying all of this.

And by the way...as I'm new to this forum and the world of recreational tree climbing, I'll just say for the record. A very generous and informative community.

I've done a lot of things in my life, and it always seems that the Hatfields and the McCoys are involved. As an example, I was a Paraglider pilot. There were Hang Glider pilots on the same mountain tops. They didn't like each other. It would be like the SRT and DRT not liking each other. Silly. Anyway...I haven't encountered that. Very refreshing!

ZK

Perfect advice. I already broke my back falling from the sky paragliding. You know what's worse...falling though a tree, then hitting the ground. Gifts with purchase!

Back