Question about selling some tree gear

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ax-man

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I have been retired for awhile now and have been doing some spring cleaning and decided to try and sell some of the gear later this year that I have been hanging onto. I have been out of the loop for awhile and really haven't kept up with what is new so to speak so I figured I would try and get some feedback . I AM NOT ADVERTISING to sell just looking to see if there might be any demand for some of this used gear I have.

Other than saws, I have a complete GRCS winch and bollard for a heavy rigging set-up along with some still good lowering ropes for lowering and blocking also some rigging pulleys and blocks along with a homemade receiver hitch with it's own backing plate for the winch to pull over trees or spars in tight quarters. This GRCS was insanely expensive when I bought it but it was a much sought after item and the hot thing in rigging if you didn't have a crane. The question is this GRCS still in demand or has it fallen out of favor in the tree community for less expensive types of lowering attachments that go around a tree??

Next on the list is used climbing equipment like synthetic 1/2 and smaller climbing ropes, saddles, lanyards, carabiners, spurs , false crotches ect.ect. . In my day DRT and foot locking was very much popular along with the French Prussic for a climbing hitch. I have no idea if any of this stuff is still popular or just out dated . I am assuming things have moved on to SRT along with gear borrowed from the rock climbing industry. Again, the question is should I even bother try to sell any of this stuff?? The trouble is no one would have clue how to use some of this stuff except a seasoned experienced climber. Please don't harp on the issue of safety about used climbing gear . I am aware of the issue but I was just wondering if anyone would buy used gear???

I have been poking around the net to see where prices are for some of this stuff . The GRCS is still at about the same price when I bought it new but some of the small items that are used in tree work have been an eye opener compared to what I remember paying for basically the same thing . I don't know what you guys get to do trees these days but I sure hope it more than what we could get when I called it quits.

Last question, if and when I decide to sell some of this stuff would the Trading Post here on the site be a good place to start?? I never have sold anything here on this site. I want to avoid the usual internet outlets because these things are specialty items strictly for tree cutting and want to avoid bargain hunters or people with dumb questions asking if some of this equipment can be used for other applications other than trees.

I think the GRCS is still a good option. We use it often. As far as the rest of your gear.....when I decide to sell something, it's because I want it gone. If that were my gear, I would tell buyers that I can't say what is safe to use anymore but I'm selling it all as one package. Pick a price you can live with. I think if I could get 25-35% of new prices for everything....I would take that as long as it was for everything. You might get more doing it differently but I would value having it all gone and not having to negotiate every single thing with different people. Think of it as selling it all wholesale.

Edit to say...some of what you have may be obsolete, some stuff may be perfect, some stuff may be ruined. I wouldn't make any promises besides saying it all goes for one price. And maybe sell the GRCS by itself.

Thanks, I was planning on selling the GRCS separately because it still has value just by itself. Your probably right about the other stuff . I'll probably end up just biting the bullet and get what I can for the stuff. It is just hard for me to let things go thinking I may need it someday along with the memories attached to some of this stuff .

My own thoughts for buying climbing gear has been to only buy new for things that my life depends on. I don't know if that is a widespread thought or if I'm just extra cautious since I'm no pro. My thinking is that I have no idea how it was used (or maybe abused) before I got my hands on it. So I think the only thing I bought used were my spurs.

On the flip side, I'm sure that had I looked, I could have gotten gear that would be an upgrade to my current set up. And I probably could have gotten it as a 'kit' rather than adding it a piece or two at a time as money allowed.

That being said, I would use used gear for pull ropes, hanging saws and accessories, etc., so I bet you will be able to sell it.
Good luck with the sale!

Back