Question about Stihl serial numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is NO inherent coding of date in the serial number. You can ask Stihl, or just post it here and we'll give you a rough (or exact) idea.

Not sure I understand the randomness in the universe thing with serial numbers, but thanks for the response. Also the humor.

Some Husky saws age can be determined by the serial number. Stihl just asigns a random number to the unit, and you can only tell the age if the dealer/buyer registered it through Stihl.

So..........whats the number?

BostonBull has given me hope. I have 18 Stihl chainwaws. Could we start with this one: 260945597. Hint: Farm Boss.

Product Type : Chain Saws Model : MS290 Serial Number : 260945597

Product Registration Registered to : Snyder Bros Inc
409 Butler Rd
Kittanning, PA 16201-4403
USA Date Purchased : 01/27/2005

Primary Use :

Stihl's numbers are not random.. they are sequential for world wide production of units (al types). Blocks are assigned to each county of manufacture, but roughly track in sequence. The first few digits (AFTER THE FIRST number- country code) will get you close on date if you have a way to look it up...

Last edited:
Stihl chainsaw serial numbers

I need someone to help me understand how to read serial numbers on Stihl chainsaws. I would like to know what each number stands for. I have a serial number to use for an example 217300197. I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

I need someone to help me understand how to read serial numbers on Stihl chainsaws. I would like to know what each number stands for. I have a serial number to use for an example 217300197. I would really appreciate any help I can get. Thank you

did you read all the previous posts, before your posted this?

From what I remember Stihl telling me, all units that had a 300 sequence for the middle 3 digits, were recalled.

Hi I am new to this forum.

I have been given a Stihl 028 AV Super Serial # 222410541.
If I could get some info that would be great.

Thanks in Advance

Back