Question about Stihl serial numbers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Registered to : Snyder Bros Inc
409 Butler Rd
Kittanning, PA 16201-4403
USA
Date Purchased : 01/27/2005

Primary Use :

Ultra Warranty : No - Expired 04/27/2005
EWP : None

If you do the math or use online cc calculator it is 51.5 and on a 290 it is 57cc, I've seen that debated before, especially from 290 haters.

As the bore/stroke numbers aren't always 100% accurate, the calculation won't always be either - but who really cares?

"Nominal" numbers from the manufacturers are good enough for any comparison purpose, and I fail to see what "290 haters" have to do with this?

If you list the MS290 (or a 357xp) as 57cc, it is fine with me - but not if you list them as 57.0cc, as that directly contradicts the manufacturers own listings (that in both cases are 56.5).

As the bore/stroke numbers aren't always 100% accurate, the calculation won't always be either - but who really cares?

"Nominal" numbers from the manufacturers are good enough for any comparison purpose, and I fail to see what "290 haters" have to do with this?

If you list the MS290 (or a 357xp) as 57cc, it is fine with me - but not if you list them as 57.0cc, as that directly contradicts the manufacturers own listings (that in both cases are 56.5).
I have seen that too on the website but on the very handle label of every 290 i've seen it says 57cc and if you calculate the 46mm bore and the 34mm stroke (which I guess your saying are rounded numbers possibly?) that does come to 57cc. I get it there's really no difference between 56 & 57 so what does it matter. Just thought it was strange the say one thing on the website specs then clearly another on the saw label. Maybe the calculator I used was rounding, not sure.

I have seen that too on the website but on the very handle label of every 290 i've seen it says 57cc and if you calculate the 46mm bore and the 34mm stroke (which I guess your saying are rounded numbers possibly?) that does come to 57cc. I get it there's really no difference between 56 & 57 so what does it matter. Just thought it was strange the say one thing on the website specs then clearly another on the saw label. Maybe the calculator I used was rounding, not sure.

There is a difference in meaning between 57 and 57.0. 56.5 rounds off to 57, but certainly not to 57.0.

212616761 stihl power portal is telling me this is not the right number. could be it is a older unit. check numbers one more time for me

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the models based on these two serial numbers ? 225406807 and 234210435. I have tried to find a search engine for Stihl serial number but unsuccessful. Thank You

I think I`ve read in the past that the "x" means that there was done an inspection after the production process (for example leakage test etc.)

This is what I have heard from my dealer and service rep, they start each saw at the factory, remote fuel line attached to the carb, if the saw tunes and runs with no issues then it passes inspection. If there is a problem with the engine it goes to another diagnose/inspection station to be corrected, this is when it gets an X before the serial number. This is what I have been told, I have no official docs from Stihl for support. Out of the several hundred Stihls I have worked over I only remembers seeing two different model saws with an X preceding the ser no., seems logical most of the production run of any given day do not need to be overhauled.

Back