Welcome to ArboristSite.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the ArboristSite community.

ArboristSite.com Sponsors

1. Please see this post Click Here Please ask questions if you have them!! I hope this is going to be great for us all.
    Dismiss Notice

Question about sugar maple tree branch looking odd and risks

Discussion in 'Arborist 101' started by WackyTomato, Oct 17, 2017.

1. WackyTomato

WackyTomato ArboristSite Lurker

Dear all,

I'm glad I found this forum. I would really need some of you experienced folks here to have a look at these pictures and recommend a course of action. This here is an established approx 50 years old+ sugar maple. One of the main branch seems to have a significant canker in it (refer to pictures). I am not sure if that is a canker caused by rot, animals, or anything else OR an old healing wound caused by the pruning / cracking of an old branch. The problem is that if that particular limb cracks and - God forbid! - falls off, the roof of the house might get the top of that limb. The top of that limb is composed of thin-ish / medium sized branches, but this cause still cause some significant damage nonetheless.

It has to be noted that the foliage of that particular branch is perfectly fine and it looks healthy otherwise.

What do you guys think? I uploaded four pictures to this thread.

Thank you very much.

Attached Files:

2. Jason Douglas

Jason Douglas ArboristSite Operative

Looks to me to be an old wound from a codominant branch breaking off.
    Interior wood is decayed but woundwound reaction looks great.
    Canopy looks good from the pic but I would want a closer look at the root flair. I generally recommend pneumatic excavation, sod removal, and mulch bed installation in curcumstances similiar to this.

ropensaddle and Oldmaple like this.
  3. WackyTomato

Thank you for your answer. Would you therefore NOT be concerned with risks of that particular branch breaking off?

I will soon mulch that tree, avoiding the typical "volcano" type mulch mistake some people do. Any kind of wooden mulch mixed with dead leaves okay?

4. Zale

Zale Addicted to ArboristSite

I would let the client know that there is a risk of failure. You could reduce the weight 15-20%. The tree is young and removing that branch would not effect its overall health.

Oldmaple likes this.
  5. Jason Douglas

Disagree. Large diameter cut adjacent to the trunk but reduction may be in order.

ropensaddle, Oldmaple and ATH like this.
  6. Oldmaple

Oldmaple Addicted to ArboristSite

Reduce it to lighten the load, don't remove it. Smaller cuts, the tree will be fine.

ATH likes this.
  7. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    When was the driveway to the left of the tree in the photo installed?

8. WackyTomato

I had the tree pruned a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully this helps. They raised the canopy to the 7 or 8 feet mark and thinned it by about 10 or 15%. They also removed dead branches and a branch that was decaying. Not sure how young you think that tree is but the house was built in 1957... I'm guessing the tree was planted around that time.

9. WackyTomato

Not sure why this is relevant. Houses in that area were all built in the late 50's.

10. WackyTomato

No idea what you are talking about... sorry :( What do you disagree with? Could you please clarify? Thanks a lot.

11. Jason Douglas

I wouldn't remove the damaged limb. It's large and attached to the main trunk and would likely breach comoartmentalized decay.

Del_ likes this.
  12. ropensaddle

ropensaddle Feel Lucky

I'm with Jason especially on maples reduction cuts 2 inch and under are enough to dispel the hazard at the end of that limb. If cut to collar the trunk will likely hollow jfyi

ATH and Del_ like this.
  13. buzz sawyer

buzz sawyer Addicted to ArboristSite

Western border of mid-southern northern WV
    If the driveway was recently installed that close, it could have damaged root system, causing problems a couple years down the road.

14. WackyTomato

Ah, gotcha. No, the driveway was definitely installed there decades ago.

15. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Addicted to ArboristSite

That limb looks to be pretty stable, with all that wound-wood, which is amazingly strong.. It would be good to see some pics of the entire branch and especially the tips.. Removing the entire branch would never be needed and would certainly be the cause of long term decay in the main stem with all that weight above it: that would be a future hazard. I would most likely feel comfortable with no pruning, however it would be best to see how heavy and how much lean there is in the limb and prune accordingly.. The only issue is "According to whom?"

Sometimes you can just take a little weight off the branch tips and end up removing "the straw that breaks the camel's back"... other times when there is serious structural compromise, its best to take a good bit of weight off the tips.. Note though that no live cuts on the main stem should be made over 4", and eve then only make cuts on the main trunk or stems in extreme circumstances... Several reduction cuts of 2-3" diameter on the tips of that limb should suffice for the next few years...