Question about Woods Porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think its a big deal, lots of saws only have 1 ring. Al does it all the time.

:agree2:

Lots of one-ringers out there for sure. . . But I heard JJ say something the other day about two rings having more longevity -- made sense to me. :cheers:

:agree2:

Lots of one-ringers out there for sure. . . But I heard JJ say something the other day about two rings having more longevity -- made sense to me. :cheers:

Yes they do. Better heat transfer for one. So your saw will run cooler. But if your modding your saw anyway, your not concerned about getting a couple thousand hours out of it.

Yes they do. Better heat transfer for one. So your saw will run cooler. But if your modding your saw anyway, you're not concerned about getting a couple thousand hours out of it.

Hell, I sure am!! I'm a cheapo and want all the hours I can get!!! :laugh:

Yes they do. Better heat transfer for one. So your saw will run cooler. But if your modding your saw anyway, your not concerned about getting a couple thousand hours out of it.

i'm new = ignorant but i have read that a well ported "woods port" can last around as long as a stock saw. do you feel this is true? and why or why not?
thanks very much

I've gotten a couple thousand hours out of quite a few modded saws. Saws that were run hard, 6-7 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.

Me too. I run both rings on all dual-ring piston engines I have. Those that originally came with one ring, I usually convert to two. I'd rather not have to tear a saw down every 5-600 hours.

I've gotten a couple thousand hours out of quite a few modded saws. Saws that were run hard, 6-7 hours a day, 6-7 days a week.

Me too. I run both rings on all dual-ring piston engines I have. Those that originally came with one ring, I usually convert to two. I'd rather not have to tear a saw down every 5-600 hours.

:cheers::cheers:

ha ha ha.

i'm new = ignorant but i have read that a well ported "woods port" can last around as long as a stock saw. do you feel this is true? and why or why not?
thanks very much

Yes your right, properly taken care of. Use good mix, and clean good filters. Things you must understand though is that producing more power out of the same size package = more strain on things.

Good to hear JJ, I just don't care as much because it'll take me a long bloody time to put 2 thousand hours on a saw.

I always run 2 rings as well.

Competition----1 ring

Production----2 rings

Can you run the piston backwards? If the ring ends have support (on the cylinder wall) when flipped around, I say do that instead.

I ported a 66 that upper transfer work was catching ring ends. . . Flipping solved it, and I got to keep my fancy transfer work. :p

I haven' looked at that yet, but the thought has been on my mind as well. I have the saw together for a run in and well pull it down soon. We'll find out then. Thanks for the reply, that is a great idea.

Back