Question about Woods Porting?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you don't degree in a saw, and just pull it apart you can get a lot done in a hour or two. I probably don't have much over 2 hours in the porting and muffler mod on the 576. which it's 2 port transfers and the intake and exhaust can't be widened much at all. It takes about as long for the cylinder and muffler to dry out after I wash them out than it does for me to port the cylinder. I know of a shop that will port saws for $200.

I ordered a 36" Oregon power match bar for my 390 last night as well as a set of over-sized felling dogs. As soon as I get some more money saved up I am going to be getting the soup-up job taken care of.

Thanks for the info on D and D, but I am along the same lines of thinking as the other guys. I would be very apprehensive sending away my only saw to be beefed up and only having to pay $90, sounds to good to be true. I am not saying that they don't do good work or anything like that, I am just way to paranoid to risk it.

Brad, have you ever used one of the right-angle attachments for the dremels? i think i may pick one up at a lunch and try it on the upper tranfers. i can use a cut-off wheel on the foredom, but you are limited on how much you can do with them. i have looked at the right-angle handpeices for the foredom, but besides the price, there are a limited number of bits available for them since they use a special type.

I can guarantee you that you're not getting a full woods port for $90. At least not one with any careful attention paid to it. Most modders charge in the ball park of $250 for a port job.

they probably hog out the I/E and call it a port job: no transfer work, case matching, squish setting, or timing check and adjustment.

I consider my work to be inexpensive and I wouldn't do a woods port for less than 150 bucks.

Brad, have you ever used one of the right-angle attachments for the dremels? i think i may pick one up at a lunch and try it on the upper tranfers. i can use a cut-off wheel on the foredom, but you are limited on how much you can do with them. i have looked at the right-angle handpeices for the foredom, but besides the price, there are a limited number of bits available for them since they use a special type.

I have not. Let me know how that goes.

they probably hog out the I/E and call it a port job: no transfer work, case matching, squish setting, or timing check and adjustment.

:agree2:

I'm no pro yet, but after the ones I've done now, $250 would be the minimum I'd charge someone to do a proper woods port.......Some would disagree, but my time is worth money (as everyones is). It would be impossible or $90 to get you much of anything done.

Last time I had them port a saw they spent 3 hours on it and my bill was 120 bucks. I know they did the intake and exaust, advanced timing, muff mod and tested adjusted the carb. I cant promise that they did anything to the transfers.

I can bring it to the next gtg if you want to tear it apart and investigate. I thought the bill was going to be over 200 for the work they did but it was 120.

It couldn't be very careful work at that either.

Pretty big assumption dont you think.

I just wanted to give the guy another option and since I had it done to 2 saws and both of them run great what differance does it make that they charge less then your average port job. I dont know how you can take price alone and judge their work.

The Dremel right angle is too fat for port work. You won't get one in there with a bit fitted

Your right though, your restricted if you need to raise the uppers. Then you need to be able to work your way back in, keeping your roof square to the bore.

I use a dentist's contra angle for this work.

Wish I could port a cyl in 1 1/2. Takes me 3-4 hours!

The Dremel right angle is too fat for port work. You won't get one in there with a bit fitted

Your right though, your restricted if you need to raise the uppers. Then you need to be able to work your way back in, keeping your roof square to the bore.

I use a dentist's contra angle for this work.

Wish I could port a cyl in 1 1/2. Takes me 3-4 hours!

jeezzz, now you tell me it's too big. i just got back to work from buying one!!!!!

i guess if your going to do a port job for $90 you better be able to get in and get out in a hurry. it all about volume!!!

this is what i like for the uppers. it cuts a wider swath and i don't have the fine grooves to smooth out like i do with a cut-off wheel.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=199

jeezzz, now you tell me it's too big. i just got back to work from buying one!!!!!

i guess if your going to do a port job for $90 you better be able to get in and get out in a hurry. it all about volume!!!

this is what i like for the uppers. it cuts a wider swath and i don't have the fine grooves to smooth out like i do with a cut-off wheel.

http://www.dremel.com/en-us/AttachmentsAndAccessories/Pages/AttachmentsDetail.aspx?pid=199

Sorry mate, I had only just spotted your post.

I looked into them back a bit and the Dremel right angle was something like 50mm or there about's and that's without a bit fitted.

If you don't have the tools/expertise to raise the transfers, you can always try bumping the primary compression a bit and get the stock transfers to flow a bit more at the higher revs.

From some of the butcher jobs I've seen on transfer ports, that would be a better option to try in many cases - and the mod can be reversed, unlike a carved up jug.

Pretty big assumption dont you think.

I just wanted to give the guy another option and since I had it done to 2 saws and both of them run great what differance does it make that they charge less then your average port job. I dont know how you can take price alone and judge their work.

Sorry but I agree with Brad here, not trying to **** all over you, but there can be much detail work at $90, that's not even an hour's labour where I work. I spend a long time on a saw making as good as I can, paying attention to port shapes, port finish, port timing, machine work, ect, then going through the rest of the saw to make sure its all right and working 100%, then come the testing and tuning. I probably spend about a week of evenings alone on the port work. The average job is $250, I wouldn't do what I do for $250, just not worth the time investment.

Sorry but I agree with Brad here, not trying to **** all over you, but there can be much detail work at $90, that's not even an hour's labour where I work. I spend a long time on a saw making as good as I can, paying attention to port shapes, port finish, port timing, machine work, ect, then going through the rest of the saw to make sure its all right and working 100%, then come the testing and tuning. I probably spend about a week of evenings alone on the port work. The average job is $250, I wouldn't do what I do for $250, just not worth the time investment.

You guys are rediculous. This is a 2nd generation saw shop that does good work. Maybe you internet porters are charging too much, you ever consider that? Go ahead and **** on your self after I cut circles around your ported saw. This will be the last time I try and help anyone out when it comes to porting.

Last edited:
You guys are rediculous. This is a 2nd generation saw shop that does good work. Maybe you internet porters are charging too much, you ever consider that? Go ahead and **** on your self after I cut circles around your ported saw.

Sorry man, just trying to be realistic.

ha ha, internet porters eh? I don't do any port work for anybody but myself. Why don't you post some pictures of the work to shut us up? The whole point is, you just cant get much of anything these days for $90, except maybe a cheap whore, and I think you know what that will get ya.

Sorry man, just trying to be realistic.

ha ha, internet porters eh? I don't do any port work for anybody but myself. Why don't you post some pictures of the work to shut us up? The whole point is, you just cant get much of anything these days for $90, except maybe a cheap whore, and I think you know what that will get ya.

Are you serious? Pull your head out of your Arse, I offered to let anyone look it over at a gtg. I'm not going to break down my saw to prove ****. If you think you cant get good work done for 30 bucks an hour then your stupid.

Are you serious? Pull your head out of your Arse, I offered to let anyone look it over at a gtg. I'm not going to break down my saw to prove ****. If you think you cant get good work done for 30 bucks an hour then your stupid.

ha ha, i guess I'm stupid then. WTF do I know.

How the hell can a shop make any money charging out $30 per hour

Back