Question on Oak Wilt

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ultimate buzz

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Up here in Wisconsin, the DNR used to recommend to cut Oak trees from frost to frost, which is usually from October through April.
Then, I believe it was said you could cut after July.

I have some Oak that has been dead and the bark is off. Am I safe to cut it now, or should I wait until the first frost?

Up here in Wisconsin, the DNR used to recommend to cut Oak trees from frost to frost, which is usually from October through April.
Then, I believe it was said you could cut after July.

I have some Oak that has been dead and the bark is off. Am I safe to cut it now, or should I wait until the first frost?
Is there a chance trees you are felling would do damage to unaffected ones? Worst part about oak wilt is it's almost impossible to stop unless you own heavy equipment with a 6 ft spade, or have unlimited funds to spend on treatments. I have way to many red oaks to deal with and wilt is here. I started cutting trees where no damage would be done to others. Almost ready to give that up also and just start dropping every red oak on property so white oak, maple, spruce and pines can start filling in.

How long has the tree been dead? Any reason to suspect Oak wilt was involved in its demise?

The concern with spreading during the season is usually associated with pruning: don't prune "frost to frost" (or after July, if you are feeling lucky). If the tree was killed by oak wilt, you don't want to move that wood around.

Oak wilt is spread through root system also. Not that easy to stop.
Absolutely... but that doesn't impact timing of pruning or removal - just means you are in for an uphill battle if it shows up! Should emphasize the need to follow the easier guidelines!

Latest posts

Back