Question to firewood dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimberWolf530

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I got into a discussion on another site with a guy who said he sells 1/4 face cords for $50. I said I thought that was expensive for approximately 10 cubic ft of wood, which equates to $600/cord. The consensus on there was that price seemed about right. Am I out of touch with reality, or does that seem high to y’all?

I got into a discussion on another site with a guy who said he sells 1/4 face cords for $50. I said I thought that was expensive for approximately 10 cubic ft of wood, which equates to $600/cord. The consensus on there was that price seemed about right. Am I out of touch with reality, or does that seem high to y’all?

Must be selling to people in a large metropolitan area where they don't have room to store wood or burn a lot. That's way high in my book, but then again I live in the country and cut/split my own wood.

Just depends on the location I guess, and what you're selling too. I sell face cords of 2 year old oak for $150 delivered. I live near a big city, and I don't sell a lot of wood, so if it doesn't sell for what I want, I'll just keep it. I think most of my customers are either using a fireplace, insert, or just having a bonfire. In any case, I think they'd actually be happier with something like ash or red maple, that burns a like faster and brighter, but they read on the internet that oak is the best firewood, so I'll sell it to them.

Does seem a tad high but when you figure what it would cost for Harry homeowner to buy bundles at the store or wherever they might think it's a deal. I get $80 for what some would call a face cord 4'x8'x16".

Does seem a tad high but when you figure what it would cost for Harry homeowner to buy bundles at the store or wherever they might think it's a deal. I get $80 for what some would call a face cord 4'x8'x16".
That's the going rate around here also. Friend will deliver it free, dump and go if you purchase 5 or more face up to 15 miles.

If I could get that kinda money here I would sell my stove and just sell firewood.

I've certainly thought about it. It definitely figured into my stove selection when we bought our Lamppa vapor fire furnace. Saving 2-3 cords a year adds up fast at $350-450 a year. Of course, I burn a lot of the less desirable wood, so it's not like I'm burning 5-6 cords of wood that I could sell at that price.

That's what I was thinking. I have about 5 grand sitting in my back yard right now.
Have at least 5,000 in my rows and for effort and cost put into it, then pay electric bill to heat our home, no way is that wood for sale. Now if natural gas was available that would be a different story. Believe it all depends on your type of heat and climate you live in. 4" of snow on ground right now, but weather service says it will be warming from 24 degrees.

In my area we are looking at $700 to $750 a cord for decent Oak right now and it is not even cold yet. I have to think for most part people do not want to work. I never slowed down at all for the entire year stocking up as best I could. The prices are high because I have little competition. People that would normally be working sat around for the last six months thinking that latter they would start stocking up their inventory. I tried to get help the entire summer, but few ever responded or showed up so for most part worked alone. I had a contractor drop five cords of Pine which is good, but green. It will not be marketable until probably May or June. Thanks

In my area we are looking at $700 to $750 a cord for decent Oak right now and it is not even cold yet. I have to think for most part people do not want to work. I never slowed down at all for the entire year stocking up as best I could. The prices are high because I have little competition. People that would normally be working sat around for the last six months thinking that latter they would start stocking up their inventory. I tried to get help the entire summer, but few ever responded or showed up so for most part worked alone. I had a contractor drop five cords of Pine which is good, but green. It will not be marketable until probably May or June. Thanks
7-750 a cord?! Lmao, I’ll pay the electric bill.

In my area we are looking at $700 to $750 a cord for decent Oak right now and it is not even cold yet.
Just out of curiosity, where do you live? Wood prices are up here in Indiana, but cords are only going for around $200 - up from $150 - $160 in the recent past. It doesn't really matter to me. I've never paid for wood, but I'm just curious as to what kind of market is willing to pay those prices.

7-750 a cord?! Lmao, I’ll pay the electric bill.

There exist several factors that you did not mention. If you do not have a generator you do not have electricity. Many systems here require electricity to operate. On average one in ten homes have their own generator. People who do not live here have a difficult time to maintain a generator system. And electricity is also very expensive. To heat a home with electricity would easily run $400 a month. Then there are the Air B & B. Regardless of the cost they need wood. I recently told several callers that to deliver and stack wood at there desired location would be about a $1000 and they said can you get it done before Thanksgiving. So at the moment tempers are going to flare because wood is becoming quite scarce. Thanks

Just out of curiosity, where do you live? Wood prices are up here in Indiana, but cords are only going for around $200 - up from $150 - $160 in the recent past. It doesn't really matter to me. I've never paid for wood, but I'm just curious as to what kind of market is willing to pay those prices.

I live in the San Bernardino Mountains about eighty miles East of Los Angeles close to 6,000 feet. Thanks

Yeah, $400 for electric sounds much worse than $7-750 a month for a cord of wood. 1k!? Haha!

A cord of locust might fetch $3-350 here in the dead of winter. Your prices are insane but apparently you have stupid customers.

Yeah, $400 for electric sounds much worse than $7-750 a month for a cord of wood. 1k!? Haha!

A cord of locust might fetch $3-350 here in the dead of winter. Your prices are insane but apparently you have stupid customers.

I have to agree, the math doesn't add up. Looking at Inland Empire/San Bernardino County on CL, it does appear the prices there are higher than most of use are used to, but $450-$500/full cord of Oak seems more the norm.

Back