Question to firewood dealers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree, the math doesn't add up. Looking at Inland Empire/San Bernardino County on CL, it does appear the prices there are higher than most of use are used to, but $450-$500/full cord of Oak seems more the norm.

You are not making a reasonable comparison. The people who live in the valley do not want to haul wood up to the mountains or charge a $200 bill to do so which of course drives prices up. I am averaging at least six requests a day for wood and we have not had much more than a few drops of rain in six months. I am seeing a huge amount of Air B & B homes being advertised with nearly 100% occupancy. People who come to vacation want their fires and cost is not a concern. Thanks

Shoot at this point I might have my buddy that’s a hot shot trucker haul about 15 cords across the country then. 4 bucks a mile, 2000 some miles and I’ll still make 5 grand! Who knew that would ever be such a lucrative prospect!?

Shoot at this point I might have my buddy that’s a hot shot trucker haul about 15 cords across the country then. 4 bucks a mile, 2000 some miles and I’ll still make 5 grand! Who knew that would ever be such a lucrative prospect!?

EG that is exactly what I used to do, but then things happed. You will not get any wood across state lines with out many $1000 of documentation and it might still be impossible. Thanks

I sell about ten cord a year to friends for $180 if they pic up and $220, delivered. Which is a tad on the low side, but not by much in my area. Last year a lady from a church organization called and said her supplier was out. She’s about 25 miles away, told her $250. She said, “wow, her source was charging $350”. If she had of been asking for a donation I’d have given it to her. But, it was for some one they were supporting, and they had a budget to buy the wood. Turned out a parishioner donated enough to get them through.

Well around here they always call it a face cord when the logs arent 24 inches long ,16 inch pieces, 16 feet x 4 foot high. What would you call that?

I'd call that 2/3 of a cord (85 cubic feet by my math), or around here, 2 face cords. A cord is 128 cubic feet. Around here is usually cut at 16", making a cord 4'x4'x8'. Three rows of 16" wood. A face cord is one row, or the face of the pile. Again, in these parts.

16”x4’x16’ would be 2/3 of a cord.

If you’re cutting wood to 24”, a 4’x8’x24” stack would be a half cord.

Most people here see single stacks and automatically think it’s a 1/3 but it depends on the depth (length of the splits). I do a lot of single stacks that do measure 4’x8’ but if I cut it they’re 18” so that’s a little more than a 1/3.

man it’s crazy to see the differences from one area to another..... and in the meaning of measurements too..... no wonder some people are suspicious of wood sellers. I always go by a cord, meaning 128 cu/ft of stacked wood. Then someone calls and asks for a 1/2 ton load..... “how many cu/ft do u want?” An old 1/2 ton truck box or a new one with a 5 1/2’ box?! Then they get upset when a 1/2 cord is not 1/2 price of a full cord. Takes the same time and fuel to deliver it! Ah the fun!!

I haven’t sold any wood in years and I’ve never bought any.

I did sell 2.25 cords of fresh white oak 10 years ago for $250 picked up. The trees were in the way of a septic replacement so I needed it gone quickly. The guy buying it was a dumb ass, He couldn’t get it through his head it was more than 2 cords, he took a bunch of measurements. The stack was 4’ high, 16’ long and the splits were 18” in 3 rows.

Well around here they always call it a face cord when the logs arent 24 inches long ,16 inch pieces, 16 feet x 4 foot high. What would you call that?

In response to a face cord as it varies. A cord does not care if splits are six inches long or four feet as long as there is 128 CF. For a face cord the measurement only measures one side of what would be an actual cord. So if the pieces are 16'' long compared to 24'' pieces there will be more wood in the 24'' stack. Just a few days ago this guy called about a cord and how I measured. Then he wants to know how I stack the wood so I tell him that it will be after Thanksgiving before I have any time for new customers. I do not want to make any extra complications to my operations. I have been around this mountain for more than forty years and have yet to have any excess income. Up until today I have had an average of six calls a day to order wood. So those that do not worry about the cost get priority over any body else. Thanks

In response to a face cord as it varies. A cord does not care if splits are six inches long or four feet as long as there is 128 CF. For a face cord the measurement only measures one side of what would be an actual cord. So if the pieces are 16'' long compared to 24'' pieces there will be more wood in the 24'' stack. Just a few days ago this guy called about a cord and how I measured. Then he wants to know how I stack the wood so I tell him that it will be after Thanksgiving before I have any time for new customers. I do not want to make any extra complications to my operations. I have been around this mountain for more than forty years and have yet to have any excess income. Up until today I have had an average of six calls a day to order wood. So those that do not worry about the cost get priority over any body else. Thanks
Very wise of you. I know what you mean if they are causing trouble before it even happens don't do it!

Back