Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toolmaker

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a stupid question for all you "learned" saw guys. I watch e-bay several times a day for saws. Many times I will see a really clean saw come through with a different brand of bar on it. For example: a Stihl with Oregon bar. Of course, the seller will say the saw is in excellent shape. I always have the question in the back of my mind.......Why does it have an Oregon bar???? To me, I think the saw must have been crashed, or it was run enough to wear the bar out. Your thoughts?????

Most avid saw users use more than one bar for a saw. For instance I have a 16" and 20" for my 55, and a 16", 20", and 28" for my 670. Now when you sell a saw on ebay anything you give away in addition to the saw is exactly that, given away. So you choose the most general purpose bar and put it on the saw for auction

Plus it is not hard for an inexperienced user to bend a bar

I stock Oregon, Carlton, Windsor, Total, and often a few GBs. Buy a saw from me and it gets set up the way you want it,(within reason).
Just like Sears? Right!;)

Another good possibility is that people have high-dollar bars that they don't want to sell with the saw. So they run down and buy a new cheapo laminated bar to put on the saw for sale, keeping the good bar for another saw.

Ebay is an interesting place...

the point here is just because it is a new bar, has no bearing on what the saw has done, or where its been..etc...

I know of sellers that put new bars and chains on old saws...new screws on old saws...not because they need them, but because it will fetch a higher dollar than maybe the one next to it...just a tool some sellers use...and a very good one in my opinion..

Maybe you're thinking about that Stihl 041 with a good-sized Homelite bar on it, resting on a kitchen cupboard?

I don't think the oil holes will match up without an adaptor of some sort (not being very familiar with 041's, I shouldn't say), and maybe not even the bar adjuster lug. That hasn't stopped people too cheap to buy a new bar from mounting the one uncle Clem had laying in the basement. I saw a Homelite 150 at a garage sale that had a bar originally from a McC electric saw on it...the guy even went so far as to put the little 1/4" chain on too.

He got kinda white when I told him that if he sold it to someone who tried to use it, and they broke or derailed that chain and got hurt, he'd be "up the crick without a paddle".

Thanks Guys! Basically what you are trying to tell me is not to think the saw has been abused if it does not have the powerhead manufacturers' bar on it, right?

When it comes to chain saws (and some other valuable or highly collectible) types of things, I kinda doubt if there are any rules for doing business on ebay.

I'm normally kinda down on ebay, but I look all the time, too. I've bought a few things, have an idea of who I can trust and who I can't, but have to admit that I've been wrong a time or two. I think that the only way to know is to play the game for a while.

Ebay isn't what the ebay company says it is, however. They would like us all to believe that ebay is a huge neighborhood garage sale, where we are all helping each other out. "I want to clean the garage, you want what I have to get rid of, so let's exchange a buck or two and we're all happy".

We all wish.

Its not uncommon for us to send a Jonsered out the door with a Total bar on it. Most Stihl dealerships however will only send their saws out the door with a Stihl bar and chain when new, except for special applications.

When i buy a new Stihl i make them put a Oregon power match bar on and a oregon chain on, i just have better luck with them.

Back