questions about you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heat our Home almost Exclusively with wood

I have saws from a 38cc (Husky 23 Compact) to 118.7cc (Husky 3120XP) and in between

I have bars from 13" for the 445 and 353 up to 60" for the 3120.

my 266XP (Old Reliable) and my 353 get the most use for firewood cutting, but the 3120 sees some firewood duty, and is used for CSM

I have 36", 44" and 60" bars for the 3120, but so far I haven't needed the 60" for milling yet

I am a Truck Driver professionally

I am suffering from an incurable case of CAD

Hi My name is Doug, and I have a Problem;)

Doug :cheers:

Has AS changed how to post Pics?

I am having a Heck of a time, pics deleting before I post, the thumbnail showed, then post it's not there, I can't find my gallery like I used to, and when copying from the computer's collection and pasting, I'm getting a Security Error/ Refresh page, that fouls things up, I'm about to pull my hair out, except that I have so little left, I can't afford to, and it would be a waste of time, for the little bit I COULD pull out

Bet those fresh crabs are good.

There is nothing better than taking Fresh Dungeness Crab back to the house and cooking them up an hour out of the Bay or Ocean. My Late Brother in Law, taught us to chop them in half, stihl alive, pop the shells, and clean them BEFORE cooking them, I thought Dungies were Delicious Before Woody taught us that, they are even better now. I prefer the flavor of Dungeness over Snow or King, but I have never had East Coast Blues.

There is nothing better than taking Fresh Dungeness Crab back to the house and cooking them up an hour out of the Bay or Ocean. My Late Brother in Law, taught us to chop them in half, stihl alive, pop the shells, and clean them BEFORE cooking them, I thought Dungies were Delicious Before Woody taught us that, they are even better now. I prefer the flavor of Dungeness over Snow or King, but I have never had East Coast Blues.

If you would ever make it to Baltimore go to Phillip’s Crab House and get their crab cakes. Best I’ve ever had, 99% crab. I’ll still take fresh king crab over anything.

If you would ever make it to Baltimore go to Phillip’s Crab House and get their crab cakes. Best I’ve ever had, 99% crab. I’ll still take fresh king crab over anything.

396048-1077e04a2a45c8cdb1e68f363b28f064.jpg

If you ever get out to the Oregon Coast, I will take you out to catch some FRESH Dungeness, and see what you think. The Nehalem Bay has been pretty Good, our minimum keeper size is 5.75 inches across the back (Inside the horns), we have been getting 6.5-8", on one of our last trips, we were getting so many over 6.5" that we almost started throwing keepers back because they looked too small. We got 34 keepers in just an hour and a half. We are allowed 12 per person, and had 4 people on board, but the tide was turning and running too strong at that point, but almost 3 Dozen keepers is a good haul;)

396048-1077e04a2a45c8cdb1e68f363b28f064.jpg

If you ever get out to the Oregon Coast, I will take you out to catch some FRESH Dungeness, and see what you think. The Nehalem Bay has been pretty Good, our minimum keeper size is 5.75 inches across the back (Inside the horns), we have been getting 6.5-8", on one of our last trips, we were getting so many over 6.5" that we almost started throwing keepers back because they looked too small. We got 34 keepers in just an hour and a half. We are allowed 12 per person, and had 4 people on board, but the tide was turning and running too strong at that point, but almost 3 Dozen keepers is a good haul;)

Dungeoness are the best! My dad has a Dory and a place in Pacific City. He tosses back crab that are bigger than I get in the bays. If conditions permit I will cross the bar and drop pots off shore for the big ones. I usually fish Garibaldi or Winchester Bay. Everywhere seemed to stink last year though.

While I have favorites, every crab is worth eating.

I haven't tried our Red Rock Crab here, either, unless you happen to drop near the break between Sandy Bottom and Rocky Bottom, you rarely catch a combination of Dungeness and Red Rock Crab, the Red Rock Crab, not surprisingly prefer a rocky bottom and the Dungies prefer a sandy bottom. The Red Rock Crab do have an advantage in that there is no size, sex or catch # limits, keep whatever you want, if you catch em' you can keep Em'. With Dungeness, there is size, sex and catch# limits, you can only keep Males. but with the Dungeness, the Males and Females don't mix much other than during mating, so if you're catching a lot of Females, pick up your pots and move, try another spot.

It's real hit and miss, which is going to produce a better catch, the Bay or the ocean, but each have a limited Prime catching time. In the Bay it is typically about 1 1/2 hours before to 1 1/2 hours after High slack is best, but being that is also the Best Time to cross the Bar, and in a 17' boat, I'm pretty conservative about that, you pretty much decide inside or outside when you head out, and Hope that you picked Right.

Crabbing right Before/After Low slack can produce sometimes, but typically not as well as High Slack, but worth trying, if it is your only option. On both the Nehalem and Tillamook Bays, crabbing during the tidal flow can cost you gear, and even if you don't lose gear, the crab tend to burrow in during strong tidal flow, and the catch is pretty dismal.

Dungeoness are the best! My dad has a Dory and a place in Pacific City. He tosses back crab that are bigger than I get in the bays. If conditions permit I will cross the bar and drop pots off shore for the big ones. I usually fish Garibaldi or Winchester Bay. Everywhere seemed to stink last year though.

Hey Wood4heat, haven't seen you in awhile, all Good I Hope?

I have done well crabbing Tillamook, but Fishing? I have always seemed to limit out on TROPHY SIZE Seaweed:( I have given up fishing the "Legendary Tillamook", I don't know his Buddy's name, but a friend of mine (actually my Wife's First Husband's BROTHER:laughing:) has a Buddy that they Dory out of Pacific City, Doyle has told me Tales of their fishing and crabbing catches, that almost anyone else, I wouldn't believe.

We used to ATV at Winchester Bay, but I didn't have a boat at that time, so I have never Fished or Crabbed Winchester Bay, but I have sure thought about it(It's the THOUGHT that COUNTS, Right;))

Back