questions about you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Wood4heat, haven't seen you in awhile, all Good I Hope?

I have done well crabbing Tillamook, but Fishing? I have always seemed to limit out on TROPHY SIZE Seaweed:( I have given up fishing the "Legendary Tillamook", I don't know his Buddy's name, but a friend of mine (actually my Wife's First Husband's BROTHER:laughing:) has a Buddy that they Dory out of Pacific City, Doyle has told me Tales of their fishing and crabbing catches, that almost anyone else, I wouldn't believe.

We used to ATV at Winchester Bay, but I didn't have a boat at that time, so I have never Fished or Crabbed Winchester Bay, but I have sure thought about it(It's the THOUGHT that COUNTS, Right;))

Doug :cheers:

Been good, good and busy! Feel like I spend all my time running my kids to their activities.

Your buddy’s not joking about PC. It helps that only Dory’s can get out there. Much less pressure on the fishery than other spots. When the salmon are hot it’s incredible. Not unheard of to limit the boat in an hour. When it’s not hot we can always catch bottom fish. We usually drop 3 crab pots and can have 3 limits in each.

I don’t often fish salmon out of my boat anymore. To crazy on the nice days. Not just the boat launch but out at the fishing grounds trying to dodge other boats. Sooo much nicer at PC. If there is another boat within 100 yards it’s probably one of my dads fishing buddies checking on us! And of course we have the whole beach as a launch. Never a line!

I met my wife on the Dunes at Winchester. Actually right under the lighthouse back when that corridor was open to bikes! The company she worked for owned property on 10 mile lake just south of there so we would camp there and take the boat to Winchester.

Other then a couple of electric heaters, that don't really do anything, my cabin is 100% wood stove heated. 14 below this morning, water pipes frozen. Filled several buckets of water for flushing toilets, and several bottles for drinking. I hope the pipes will start flowing soon or I will have to crawl under the cabin with a propane heater and warm up the frozen pipes.

Other then a couple of electric heaters, that don't really do anything, my cabin is 100% wood stove heated. 14 below this morning, water pipes frozen. Filled several buckets of water for flushing toilets, and several bottles for drinking. I hope the pipes will start flowing soon or I will have to crawl under the cabin with a propane heater and warm up the frozen pipes.

Shoot, at least it's pretty up that way.

Shoot, at least it's pretty up that way.

Yup. It is the price I pay for isolation and beauty. 4 years in the Corps, 6 months on an Aircraft Carrier, then the urban jungles of San José and Los Angeles for 2 decades. Never again! I was out for groceries a few weeks ago, saw a neighbor walk by a week ago. It is great!

We own 100+ acres of timber land so I cut our firewood and try to sell a little bit of softwood on the side to our local mill. Maintain trails, try to clean up blowdowns, etc.

Biggest saw is my only saw, MS250 :baaa: but looking to upgrade to a 60cc+ saw this summer.

i think we can get to know each other better, I forget not everyone is a logger, a firewood cutter or heats his house with wood were all different.

1. Are you a logger, firewood business or cut firewood for home, other?

None of the above. Enjoy tinkering on saws and rebuilding them.
Worked with a tree service company as a side job and enjoyed it.
Have milled a few trees into slabs, and have some more waiting to be milled up to build my backyard shed.

2. What’s your biggest cc saw?
MS880 - 122cc

3. What’s the longest bar you use?
Just got a 42" Cannon to max out the 36" mill waiting to be used.

Yup. It is the price I pay for isolation and beauty. 4 years in the Corps, 6 months on an Aircraft Carrier, then the urban jungles of San José and Los Angeles for 2 decades. Never again! I was out for groceries a few weeks ago, saw a neighbor walk by a week ago. It is great!

Solitude definitely has its perks!

Down Trees and sometimes help my dad cut firewood for his wood business. 35 year as Electronic Tech, 28 years in the IC industry Photolithography and 7 in digital printing. Stihl 460 32" sometimes 28" bar, Stihl 362 25", Stihl 034 super 25", Stihl 034 20", Husky 355 18" and McCulloch pro mac 10/10 18"

1. Depends on time of year. Predominately I do site prep/road building/grade & drain work with some logging in that mix. During the summer I do the wildland firefighter thing when I get called and other people run the business. I run saws a lot, particularly on wildland. I’m a volunteer in a semi-rural district just east of Louisville KY where I live, and I take care of the saws there in addition to predominately driving the truck these days. I travel some for work, usually out west for fires and north/east for work.

I & my partner do most of the hand falling for the company, I do most of the hazard trees.

2. The biggest saw I own is an 046, or maybe a 461, whatever’s bigger, they’re both 76.5 rounded to the tenths place. The biggest in the company fleet is a 395 Husqvarna which comes out to 93.6 per the spec. We run a few 660s and 661s which are close to 92 and 91.1 per the specs.

3. The biggest bar I have is a 32 on my 046. The biggest the company has is a 42 that the 395 runs.

1. Firewood hack just keeping the OWB filled, do occasional work for friends and neighbors dropping trees
2. Biggest is about 100cc either Partner P100 or Husky 2100
3. 48" is the biggest but I haven't found a tree to use it on yet (package deal with the 2100), biggest I use regularly is 28" on 066.

I came to ArboristSite - and then chainsaw ownership - after hurricane Michael put 8+ laurel oaks on the ground on our residential property in October 2018. We don't heat with wood as a regular thing, so a lot of the firewood from those will be given away to friends and neighbors.

The one-saw plan (so far) has been a Husqvarna 545 (50 cc) with a 16" bar. I have an 18" bar and chain on hand, but haven't tried them yet.

Back