questions about you?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"I live on a Blue Springs mail route about three miles from East Union school. Tom"

Small world! My grandfather would never have believed that there would be a big auto factory there . My cousin and I are co-owners of a farm just outside Blue Springs.

what name is the farm under. Tom

Used to be logger, heat our home with wood, cut wood for my mother, and friend with health issues, sell some wood. Do a little tree work on the side. Mill a few boards every year with chainsaw mill.
Largest saw at the moment is ported 6400/7900 dolmar (79cc ?)
Longest bar-32”

Attachments

• 57BA1D87-FE22-49BA-A409-367F679FCD14.jpeg
    57BA1D87-FE22-49BA-A409-367F679FCD14.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
Cut little bit for heat , not much needed in the Portland Oregon area. Mainly for cooking woods for bbq and pizza oven, cooking outdoor ect. Also I’m getting into CSM just started this year in January built my own mills

Biggest saw is 075 111 cc, also have stihls smallest saw that gets used for bucking and milling with. ms 171 38cc I think 16” bar

49” bar

319063FC-5225-4817-9F0D-B4F66BBAE2D1.jpeg0B71A6A2-5635-4399-851A-F51BBC959A5C.jpeg That’s a 064 32” bar

I had a good deal. I would go in after a logger was done and clean up the landing and the unwanted tops, some were 24” and larger. Otherwise I was felling on treed lots.

Cut little bit for heat , not much needed in the Portland Oregon area. Mainly for cooking woods for bbq and pizza oven, cooking outdoor ect. Also I’m getting into CSM just started this year in January built my own mills

Biggest saw is 075 111 cc, also have stihls smallest saw that gets used for bucking and milling with. ms 171 38cc I think 16” bar

49” bar
That’s a 064 32” bar

Is that Darth Vader's shadow in the foreground?

Ok so I'm a saw "repair" guy and Homelite enthusiast who takes down any and all trees that people ask me to as well as a cutter, splitter and woodstove user
My biggest saw is my Homelite 5-30N (114cc's) and my longest bar is a 32" bar on my
Super XL-925 w/ a .404 chain.
I got into working on saws out of necessity, lent my saw to a friend and it came back in a less than stellar condition. 20190424_234305.jpg

I cut, split, stack and burn wood 6 months of the year. I repair saws, mill wood, do carpentry, mechanical repairs, electrical repairs, typical homeowner and kindly neighbor stuff. I have a few helpers as well-------
20190506_111445.jpg 20190506_111757.jpg
It makes most of my jobs a little easier to have good helpers.

I cut, split, stack and burn wood 6 months of the year. I repair saws, mill wood, do carpentry, mechanical repairs, electrical repairs, typical homeowner and kindly neighbor stuff. I have a few helpers as well-------
View attachment 734900 View attachment 734901
It makes most of my jobs a little easier to have good helpers.
Real nice. With a couple of 10 series (and some good ear plugs) there is not much wood a guy cannot handle.

In my young tender years I grew up around a auto machine shop and farm. Dad ran a machine shop and I was around all kinds of stuff that a little boy would get the big eye for. I was just amazed at the Mills, Lathes, Drill Presses, and tooling. This Lead to me naturally when I joined the army at 18 to the US Army Corps of Engineers. There I learned everything from Surveying to building and everything in between. In my later life this would serve me well as I endeavored through life at difference skills. Have been a Journeyman Meat Cutter, Surveyor, Forester, Prescribe Burn Manager, among many more. Learned to operate Heavy Equipment in the Service, skills which I used extensively latter in life. A chainsaw has always been just a tool for me, never got the bug for collecting. I have always worked on my own saws as I saw no need to carry it to another source for service.

I grew up in the bush, Dad ran a saw in pulpwood/studwood production for 45 years, I have done a bit of that, pulled wrenches at dealer level on Husky, Stihl and Jonsered, and Dad was a collector as well. I inherited the CAD from him. I really only run my own saws for fun, and to keep wood on hand for my fire pit. My living does depend on wood, but only after it's been cut and kiln dried, for the second time in my life I work in the planer mill side of a stud mill.
Largest saw on hand is 92cc, largest bar I own is a 20 as of today; I sold my 24" setup I never use this morning.
99% of the time I use a 15 or 16 depending on Husky or Stihl.

Forester/wildland firefighter
I think the biggest displacement saw I have is a PM275 Canadien at 123cc, followed by a Stihl 084 at 122cc I think, followed by a Homelite 909D at 112cc.
Longest bar is 48" I think but I use a 28" bar on almost everything because it means I don't have to bend over to buck a whole lot. I mostly run 60-75cc saws; favorite currently is a Masterminded Husky 562XPW.

I'm a translator by trade and moved to the country (in Japan) to escape Tokyo stress some 25 years ago ...
... which was a success, but cost me a number of clients and a bunch of income ...
... enter the wood stove to save some money, and the need for affordable saw(s) ...
... found out that affordable saws generally do not run and got hooked on buying and fixing old saws ...
... I did sell some of them but still have about 300 vintage runners in the shed for occasional fun :p
The wife thinks I'm crazy, but the house is warm all fall, winter and spring :numberone:

@pioneerguy600
Hay Jerry brother. Hope you are doing well. Very sad to here about John.
Saw the thread the other day... Will post on it. Must

start a thread for John's 'stories' he told me some good ones. One about him and 'Stomping Tom' .
John IS legendary.
He was writing a book about his life.a few year ago. I would love to read what he had on paper. Maybe it got published?
Like to find out

Talk soon, big brother

@pioneerguy600
Hay Jerry brother. Hope you are doing well. Very sad to here about John.
Saw the thread the other day... Will post on it. Must

start a thread for John's 'stories' he told me some good ones. One about him and 'Stomping Tom' .
John IS legendary.
He was writing a book about his life.a few year ago. I would love to read what he had on paper. Maybe it got published?
Like to find out

Talk soon, big brother
Hey Jamie, hope you are well and getting out n about. . Yes a very sad deal about John`s passing, he will be greatly missed, full of mischief and vitality he was. We had many convos over the years and stories he had many including the stories about himself and Stompin Tom. I am in the stages of contacting his siblings, just this morning I have received a phone number from a fellow member to make contact, will have more info over the following days. Good to hear from you, take care.
Jerry

Back