Quick 14" Bar damage question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MartDalb

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Hey everyone

Got a used Stihl MS211C in the workshop - has a nasty dent near the tip.

Use it, or replace it?

Pictures below.

Attachments

• DSC_0995.JPG
    DSC_0995.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0997.JPG
    DSC_0997.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 46
  • DSC_0994.JPG
    DSC_0994.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 44
  • DSC_0996.JPG
    DSC_0996.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 47
Guess I will go test it tommorow, see what this kinda "dent" does to a bar.
Did it get pinched, I wonder....

It’s from not having the chain tight enough. Extra slack allows the nose sprocket to throw the chain into the bar on its way around the tip
Seriously? :oops:
The saw itself, is from 2007 - 1 owner.
It is actually in very, very nice shape. It has been looked after, or not used a lot, or both.

No not being sarcastic, to be honest, I have more time fixing saws than running them.
Hence why I ask, about this bar.

Saw looks good.

Attachments

• DSC_1010.JPG
    DSC_1010.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1014.JPG
    DSC_1014.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1013.JPG
    DSC_1013.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 12
  • DSC_1011.JPG
    DSC_1011.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 12
I'd dress it & use it with the more damaged side up. If it were someone else's saw I'd advise it's replacement but also suggest they could have it dressed & run it that way a bit longer if they "had to". Also point out to them they should be running the chain slightly tighter & if they get a new one start flipping the bar occasionally

I'd dress it & use it with the more damaged side up. If it were someone else's saw I'd advise it's replacement but also suggest they could have it dressed & run it that way a bit longer if they "had to". Also point out to them they should be running the chain slightly tighter & if they get a new one start flipping the bar occasionally
That is solid advice for sure.

I see many not turning their bars. But by far, the most common is people running with extremely dull chains.

Yeah or my buddy who only uses bar oil optionally. Glad he has his own saw. LOL
What....the.
Reminds me of people that think oil (bar oil tank) mixes into the fuel (fuel tank) and that's how the 2 stroke mix works. :buttkick:

Back