Quick question(s) before I pull the trigger on a DHT 25 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey, quick question(s) before I pull the trigger on a DHT 25 ton splitter. I’ve been cutting and splitting 4-5 cords a year for the last 11 years. I enjoy the exercise but I also have a gym in the basement, bicycles, and I run at least twice a week so I’m not doing it for the exercise. As I scramble to complete my woodpile, it finally occurred to me that I spend one hell of a lot of time swinging the maul and sledgehammer. I am looking for a timesaver and I think I have a system worked out where I would do the splitting right at the shed. I have my own woods.

Reviews on the DHT 25 ton splitter look pretty good and I was reluctant to buy anything with moving parts from Lowes, but the price is hard to pass on. I think they probably run around $999, but they are advertising them as being on sale through tomorrow for $999. Regular price is supposedly $1099 but I haven’t been looking long enough to know what the regular price really is. If I apply for a Lowe’s credit card, they will knock another 10% off, so it’s hard to pass on something I know I’m going to buy by spring anyway, at a cost of $899. They will finance it for 0% interest for up to 18 months on the $999, but no 10% discount.

Assuming I make a commitment tomorrow, I would also need a log catcher---or tow?. They are not included and I think they run around $79.00. Do you need one log catcher or two? Looks like it would save a lot of bending over but with only one, but don’t they fall off the other side?

For those who have one of these splitters, any reservations? Is the quality of the Kohler engine decent? Got enough power?

Thanks for any help!

Joe i ran a DHT 22 T for a winter with the same Kohler motor and it split pretty much all the PA hardwood i could throw at it. The one i used was actually a return/ clearance to Lowes that some one didn't want.:surprised3: All my buddy did was change oil when he got it. I was ready to buy one but i found a TSC splitter on clearance for $629 with the same kohler motor as the DHT. from what i have seen here DHT has been really good with taking care of any problems that may arise. Had to google Billtown as i thought i knew PA.:omg: Lowes deal with the credit card can save you some$$$$. Cancel the card after you pay it off.

I will agree that you need a splitter. I simply need a new one, but will try to get one more season out of my old home-made splitter. I will be looking for a good deal on one, too!

search ebay for "lowes online 10% coupon" and pay 99 cents for a discount code to buy online and knock off the 10% without opening a lowes card

I second contacting Dan. I bet that he will get you set up with something better for the same price. That’s what they did for me. DHT has been one of the easiest company’s I have worked with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a little input. Not DHT, but I’ve done quite a bit of reading and wouldn’t hesitate to go that route.
I bought this splitter cheaply a few years back and quickly discovered using it was very hard on my old back with my 6’4” height.
I was happy to find I could run it easily while seated in a lawn chair. Sounds like you will have your unsplit wood by the shed in a pile so this may work for you as well. I can reach quite a bit of wood while seated with a pikaroon without having to move the splitter.
Mostly posting to say the little log cradles on this one catch 99% of the wood. I split in half and slide the near side piece onto my lap and finish processing the off side piece. I would try one on the off side first if I were going to get another splitter. Works for all but the biggest pieces which I usually get in half in the vertical position.
On another note, I don’t know but have read fenders are hard on the shins.
Most of my wood is Alder which splits easily so most of the time only need to cycle the wedge 6”.
969da8730c510c0e9f697afd0cc61627.jpg
6afe64dad6aee302cc0a1cb7f35c7f2c.jpg
2d2a9502ef593ed6fc3de431f25032d6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My DHT has been flawless. Customer service has been superb. Finally had my first piece of wood I couldn't bust the way I wanted to. It was a triple fork piece of elm. Busted it into a ugly instead of the stackable piece I wanted.

I just bought a countyline-30-ton-log-splitter from tractor supply. I went back and forth between it and the comparable size DHT, which I believe was a 28ton. Mine has a Kohler engine which cranked, and cranks on the first pull.....I see no issues with it as long as I keep fresh gas in it and the oil changed. Mine also came with the log tray which i found to be very handy, especially when splitting 3 or 4 smaller rounds....i could just stack them on the tray and quickly split them without having to reach down for a new round.

I don't have a DHT but did weld myself up a cradle for my Wallenstein. It's a pretty bubble gummed up affair but I made it so I could switch it from side to side easily (slides off & on the factor lips on each side of the beam) and big enough so it could easily hold a fairly big sized half-round. I just stand on the opposite side of the beam from the cradle & push what I will come back to later onto the cradle. For me, having two cradles would mean one of them is always in the way, between me & the beam. If they were any size to be useful as a serious wood holder, at least.

Gents, many thanks. Today is the last day of the “sale” and it looks like rain so maybe I will cool my jets. I saw Dan’s replies to some of the reviews and posts I read. I will track him down unless someone has a quick link or whatever. The 10% coupon might be cool too. I could order it online and pick it up at my convenience. I’d rather do that than drag the thing home in the rain today.

I plan to load rounds into my trailer and/or front end loader and then split them at the shed. Splitting them on the side hills around here has been so time-consuming. I whack a round, it falls down, I pick it up, whack it again… I have been putting some rounds into a Kubota BX rear tractor tire to secure them but it certainly hasn’t been a perfect process.

I have a welder and I could probably fabricate a log catcher/tray, but depending upon materials available. Always a project!

I got my log catcher on amazon and it wasn't DHT. Bolt holes didn't line up so I welded two pieces of small flat on it and drilled the holes to match the beam. Couple bolts and washers to attach. Have $20 into it and it works well.

Military past and present get 10% at Lowes if you happen to have served. Can't speak on the DHT have never had the pleasure of running one. Good Luck

DHT is a good product and sponsor. They have proven time after time of their commitment to customer service.

Log tables are a must. But a super easy way to increase your work table area is to just get two rounds that are square and set them one on top of the other and use as a work area. Set to your immediate left.:rock2:

I got my log catcher on amazon and it wasn't DHT. Bolt holes didn't line up so I welded two pieces of small flat on it and drilled the holes to match the beam. Couple bolts and washers to attach. Have $20 into it and it works well.

@panolo I looked on Amazon and don't see anything even close to $20. Any more info?

If you call DHT they will have a log table. When I was looking for one, every web site including theirs said it was sold out. I called them and they had them in stock.

Also if you want to talk to them. Just click on the DHT that posted in the thread and PM them. To see what they can offer you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well,my 2 cents.
Splitter I don't know about,but 80$for a couple flat bars welded together?I'd get a couple of C-clamps and some lumber ,make the work table the size I want, and removable.
Took mine of my splitter years ago,welded one side to the beam ,farther back to protect the engine.
Wood gets caught in between the beam and the open area on the crafle,if you're not paying attention,rip the bolts off.

@panolo I looked on Amazon and don't see anything even close to $20. Any more info?

I had searched them on amazon because DHT was out the supplier said. It came across my suggested buys on amazon a couple days later. In looking at my history it says unavailable to buy. I think Runnings has the same one but I'm unsure of the cost.

Latest posts

Back