Quick question(s) before I pull the trigger on a DHT 25 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I live close to the local airport and always get a couple cans full in the fall and 50-50 it with non oxy for storage of my bike, boat, etc. I'm also running some av gas in my 49' chev and other classic since I put about 10 miles on them the last year. Don't rebuilding a small engine carb but I ain't much into holly's and edelbrocks.

Husky Joe, Some small engines start better without choke if its reasonably warm.

The Honda engine on my splitter absolutely will not start without choke no matter the temp. The Honda engine on my pressure washer absolutely will not start with choke unless its too cold to be using the pressure washer.

Husky Joe, Some small engines start better without choke if its reasonably warm.

The Honda engine on my splitter absolutely will not start without choke no matter the temp. The Honda engine on my pressure washer absolutely will not start with choke unless its too cold to be using the pressure washer.

Good point, I have a Honda race bike that the choke plate has been completely removed. No choke at all and it starts up real easy.

i guess those honda engines are finicky. the one i had on my troybilt splitter would not start in the cold (20's) with the choke on. any other time i had to use the choke.

My first JD lawn tractor was a 110-8 hp. Kohler. My FIL's friend was a JD salesman and sold me the first JD. He said the engines were made to run wide open. He said he always left the throttle wide open till he was shutting it off. He would idle down, shut it off, and put the throttle back at full for the next start. Since then I've had Kohler 8, 10, and 12 hp. My JD 318 I bought brand new was an Onan, the JD 265 I have now is a Kawaski 17 hp, the walk behin is a 20 hp Kawasiki and I start them all on full throttle. They are al electric start and fire on the first bump of the key. So, if the choke is on the same lever as the throttle, I put it on choke, and as soon as it fires back to full throttle. The wood splitter is a no choke Briggs with a primer bulb. Pump 6 times and it always starts on the 2-3 pull. last year I had a hard time starting it, turned out it had water in the fuel.

I was at an auction and bought a brand new, in box, Briggs Ready Start for $25. It says it's guaranteed to start on the 2nd pull every time or the will fix it free.

Everyone seems to have their own formula. I think I mentioned having the right “combination” in an earlier post. I gave it a try yesterday at half choke and half throttle and she kicked on the 1st pull. This morning, she did not start on the 1st pull but did start after 5 or 6 pulls. I just got back after the splitter sat for 6 hours or so. Put it at half choke and full throttle and she kicked on the 1st yank. I’m sure I will figure out what works best but there will probably be a few extra pulls here and there.

Thanks for the many recommendations!

I've had the 27 Ton for 3 seasons now, and would definitely buy it again. I would not recommend the 4 way. I bought it, and don't like it, so I never use it. I also had to re-seal some of the hydro connections that dripped a bit of oil. Other than that, it's top notch. The Kohler engine starts right up even in the coldest of weather, and doesn't seem to be overworked no matter what I throw at it.

Ugh… I’m still having starting problems. It’s so bad, I broke the starter rope a while back. After watching a YouTube video, I was able to get it rewound and reinstalled and it was good for a while but then the whole recoil starter thingy took a dump. DHT covered it under warranty and sent me another one but at the rate I’m going, its days are probably numbered. Saturday, it took 83 pulls to get the engine to run continuously, after sputtering and stalling. Yesterday, I couldn’t even get it started and my attempts again today were unsuccessful. Something is definitely not right with the engine; I’m guessing it’s something to do with the carburetor. I think this thing sat too long at Lowe’s before I came along. This is my second one and the first one wouldn’t start either. It’s not like I don’t know how to start small engines. I’ve been starting them since I bought my first minibike in 1975.

It is cold this morning in PA, but I had problems starting this thing back when I bought it in October. The hydraulic fluid that came in and it is AW46, which I believe is only good down to 32°. I would wonder if that was the issue but again, I had problems when it was 70°. I’ve change the engine oil (twice so far) and made sure to measure 20 ounces, as specified in the manual.

I guess I will get in touch with DHT and see if they have any more suggestions. I would really like to get this thing to an authorized shop and have them diagnose the issue. Splitter works great on the days when I can actually get it to start and run. It’s just so frustrating to dump a grand into something and have it be such a POS.

One other trick is to pull the air cleaner and prime it through there. A little starting fluid or carb cleaner and it should fire. If the starter circuit is a little small for emissions or has some debris in it that would circumvent that issue.

One other trick is to pull the air cleaner and prime it through there. A little starting fluid or carb cleaner and it should fire.
I've tried that as well. If I recall, it took starting fluid to get the thing to run the day I brought it home. Yesterday, tried carb cleaner first and then starting fluid.

Check the fuel shut off valve. Make sure the return handle is in the neutral position. Some times when I take the cover off of mine I catch the handle and bump it into the retract position and if I don't notice it will rip the pull start out of my hand. Have you talked to @DHT THROUGH A PM HERE?

I PM’d DHT prior to the purchase but not since. I called them a few times on the phone and I’m going to give them a ring again shortly.

Back