Quick question(s) before I pull the trigger on a DHT 25 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmm, OK, sorry I missed that if posted.

With plug ruled out, it sure sounds like a bit of dirt somewhere in the carb, which would likely required complete carb disassembly & cleaning. Topped with install of an inline fuel filter. It doesn't take much of a spec in the wrong place.

Hmm, OK, sorry I missed that if posted.

I didn’t mention it but I bought an NGK a few weeks ago when I installed the new recoil starter. I’ve been down the list---tried high-octane gas, low octane gas, carb cleaner, starter fluid… Thanks!

I've tried that as well. If I recall, it took starting fluid to get the thing to run the day I brought it home. Yesterday, tried carb cleaner first and then starting fluid.

If you were shooting straight down the throat of the intake that should bypass a plugged pilot/ starting circuit. I started mine the other day when it was 25 out and it took 3-4 pulls for it to fire. Could be a plethora of things from intake leaks, bad carb, poor fuel, not enough umph on the pull, pulse coil, etc.

I know mine pulls hard when it's cold because of the hydro fluid but it always starts. Good luck and I hope you get it fixed.

Thanks Panolo---I called DHT and went through the menu and ended up at Kohler, punched in my ZIP Code and got a list of dealers (which I had already researched). One is just a few miles away and I left a message for him. Hopefully whatever I need will be covered under warranty. I took a look at the repair manual and yeah, “could be a plethora of things…” I appreciate all the help on this and I will let you guys know how the story ends.

I had mine ran full tank of gas through it last wknd and filled it up and restarted it. And wouldn’t start. Only ran on choke for about 20 mins then shut off Pulled carb and tank. Cleaned both and fuel lines and reinstalled everything and works perfect now. Dht has been great so far. Maybe problems because everyone has them they are awesome machines

Does your splitter sit outside in the weather at all?
It is outside but I keep it covered with a tarp. Unfortunately, it sat outside in the weather at Lowe's for who knows how long before I bought it.
DHT is not the issue. They've been exceptional when I call. It's the same engine I've seen on just about every splitter, including one they sell at a local mom-and-pop tractor dealership. I dropped it off at the repair shop this afternoon. The owner said it should be ready by the end of the week but if it's a "fuel problem," it probably wouldn't be covered under warranty. No matter who's paying, I've got to get this thing running. Like all the time!

I’ve borrowed a friends home made splitter a few yrs ago that sat outside and I pulled and pulled to get it started put new plug. Wouldn’t start with starter fluid ended up where coil would make contact had a thin layer or rust built up and once I hit it with some sand paper and cleaned it up. Ran like a chanp

I had one splitter that had carb issues, I tried rebuilding it several times, then I just replaced the whole carb and I never had another issue with it. The carb only cost 35 bucks brand new and took me all of about 10 min to swap it out.
You might just see what a new carb cost. If it's cheap enough, just replace it.

Whats up with DHT. I swear there's always someone having issues with there splitters.

I'm on the third season with our 27 Ton DHT, it has the 196cc 6.5 HP Kohler, has always started easy and runs like a Champ.

I would buy DHT, or Kohler again without a second thought, I wouldn't pay extra for a Honda over a Kohler, I couldn't ask for more from our Kohler, no complaints from me.

Doug :cheers:

I'm on the third season with our 27 Ton DHT, it has the 196cc 6.5 HP Kohler, has always started easy and runs like a Champ.

I would buy DHT, or Kohler again without a second thought, I wouldn't pay extra for a Honda over a Kohler, I couldn't ask for more from our Kohler, no complaints from me.

Doug :cheers:

I think I bought mine spring of 2014 it has been a very good tool , I can't see paying extra for the Honda either .

I suspect the issues he is having will be from being left out and corroding electrical contacts that probably started at the store when Lowe's left it set outside for who knows how long.

I am not much of a fan of tarps sometimes i think they hold more moisture in than they keep out.

most likely a carb issue because they are set to fail with the EPA rules governing small engines nowadays.

I dropped the splitter off late Monday afternoon at Dave’s Repair Service, an authorized Kohler dealer/repair shop. He called by late morning the next day and advised that he didn’t find anything definitively wrong, other than the flooded cylinder and some dirt in the carburetor. He replaced the spark plug (3rd one now) and disassembled, cleaned and reinstalled the carburetor. He said it was running but we agreed that maybe it would be a good idea to let it sit all day in the cold (about 30°) and then give it a try again. I went down late in the day and the splitter started on the 3rd pull.

This morning I went out after it had sat all night (still about 30°) and it took probably 25 yanks to get it to run. It sputtered several times but just wouldn’t get going. I let it run for a couple hours and I ran all of the gas out of it. The gas was fresh 87 octane. Dave suggested running high-octane and trying to start it on full throttle. I have errands to run later and I will be stopping in at the local airport to purchase a few gallons of 100LL. We’ll see where it goes. I wish it was going back to Lowe’s but it’s too late for that now. Dave said the Kohler engines are good; better than Briggs & Stratton and Tecumseh. The different splitter manufacturers sure seem to use those Kohlers on their splitters. But I can’t help but think if I had a Honda engine, I wouldn’t be going through this BS.

I’ll get some good gas in the beast and started up and get it through the system and see what she feels like in the morning…

Back