Quick question(s) before I pull the trigger on a DHT 25 ton splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sundance, my manual says .254 mm .0100 inch. Will a business card suffice? I saw that “method” on YouTube, tried it, and she is running but maybe a little rough.

See this chart: https://www.jampaper.com/paper-weight-chart.asp

Looks like a business card is a pretty good approximation. It may need some more cleanup or run time to settle out. Congratulations on (it appears) solving your issue.

Dudes! Many thanks! My fingers are crossed but I think I solved the problem. I used a die grinder and brush to clean up the flywheel, magnet, and ignition module contacts. Unfortunately, it got away from me while working on the flywheel and I took out the dampening spring in the process. I had no choice but to shorten the spring and I think it lost some tenacity. I was only hitting about 2800 RPMs; hence the rough running. I had another spring handy---obviously much stronger---and I’ve got it so it’s pretty much running full throttle and I can’t really back it down. Maximum RPMs, according to the manual, looks to be around 3950 and it’s running pretty close to that but running smooth and strong. I just can’t back it down to idle, which I would like to do when I shut it down. It’s running from 3840 to 3920. It’s obviously warmed up but starting easily. With the heavier hydraulic fluid, I’m not optimistic about it starting easily tomorrow morning. Should be about 20° but I might give it a tug just for giggles.

I just had a feeling my problem was related to that poor beast sitting in the rain for months out back down at Lowe’s and I think/hope I am right. Thanks again to everyone for all your help!

For the guys that like yuengling now sure what state u guys are from but I know yuengling likes to push their lager. Light lager and Black and Tan but we have a few other beers from yuengling that are better then those ones

Confession: I brought the splitter into my garage to work on it and to keep me warm and warm up the splitter, I plugged in an electric heater for about an hour or so. I think that helped as well. High temps today were in the mid-20s but much colder in the morning (11°). The splitter came with AW46 hydraulic fluid. I’m thinking about changing it out. The label on the reservoir tank says it’s good only down to 32°. I want to get my firewood scrounging done by spring, now that I have a splitter. Every year I set a goal of being done by May 1 and it never happens. I’m thinking about changing out the hydraulic fluid to either AW32 or ATF. From looking online, it sounds as though ATF would be a little lighter and presumably easier to start the engine? Anyone know what weight Kubota’s UDT is? I saw someone recommend the synthetic (SUDT) for those with deep pockets. I’ve seen others recommend magnetic block heaters. It’s not convenient for me to bring it into the garage; I’ve got 2 cars and a Kubota BX in there already and chainsaws and a workbench and a refrigerator and…

I actually have a New Age overhead garage storage unit arriving tomorrow. Sam’s F’d up the order, which I placed before Christmas. Got a great price though and worth the aggravation I guess---$143 to the door.
NSMaple, I think the total hydraulic fluid capacity for my splitter is 6.5 gallons. Do you think a 5 gallon bucket would solve my cold starting problems here at Zebra Station?

Not sure I would say any one thing will solve starting problems. But I'd sure recommend ATF. Maybe not if you had no other reason to change fluids and your hydro was still good. But if you're thinking about changing anyway, that's what I'd do. A 5 gallon pail from Walmart did mine. Sounds like you might need an extra gallon.

Thanks man! I guess I might as well just bite the bullet. I have a 25% off coupon at Advance Auto, and it’s a lot more handy than Walmart or TSC. I’ve been all over looking for a compatible filter. AA sells Purolator and Fram, but I don’t think they have a Fram (1625A) to fit. Looks like the Purolator H32010 would be a good fit. I’d like to just get this done today, once the latest squall passes through. I’ve got about 32° here and I just gave the splitter 8 or 10 tugs. She wants to catch, but I think it’s just too much to push that AW46 fluid. I think I sold my warm starting problems with cleaning up the rust on the magnet and ignition module and hopefully the ATF will solve the cold starting issues. Seemed to start pretty quickly yesterday in the garage with the heat on.

I actually have a New Age overhead garage storage unit arriving tomorrow. Sam’s F’d up the order, which I placed before Christmas. Got a great price though and worth the aggravation I guess---$143 to the door.
NSMaple, I think the total hydraulic fluid capacity for my splitter is 6.5 gallons. Do you think a 5 gallon bucket would solve my cold starting problems here at Zebra Station?

That overhead storage unit looks Nice, but isn't it going be a Real PITA to get the splitter up and down from there??;):surprised3::):):):)

Doug :cheers:

Yah, AND the Kubota!

I got some Bad news for Ya Joe, I doubt that your splitter is going to exceed the 600# load rating of your Overhead Storage unit;), but the Kubota is probably a Safe bet that it will :), but if you Try to get the Kubota up there, Video is a MUST, I wanna watch that:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Doug :cheers:

Thanks man! I guess I might as well just bite the bullet. I have a 25% off coupon at Advance Auto, and it’s a lot more handy than Walmart or TSC. I’ve been all over looking for a compatible filter. AA sells Purolator and Fram, but I don’t think they have a Fram (1625A) to fit. Looks like the Purolator H32010 would be a good fit. I’d like to just get this done today, once the latest squall passes through. I’ve got about 32° here and I just gave the splitter 8 or 10 tugs. She wants to catch, but I think it’s just too much to push that AW46 fluid. I think I sold my warm starting problems with cleaning up the rust on the magnet and ignition module and hopefully the ATF will solve the cold starting issues. Seemed to start pretty quickly yesterday in the garage with the heat on.
10 micron hydraulic filter at NAPA. part #FIL 1551. Less than $15. i run the AW46 in my splitter and no problems down to around 15* starting it. i don't split when it's colder than that.

well mine decided to start hard today , it was -24 yesterday and warmed all the way up to +2.
today we got to +10 in the sun but I don't think my splitter in the unheated garage got to +10 maybe 5 if that it took a bunch of pulls kept popping and wanting to turn go but couldn't pulling and playing with full choke , 3/4 choke and full and half throttle and it finally did start and didn't run right for about a minute then it warmed up enough to start running right I split for an hour till the back of the truck was full and I was about out of spring travel.

I was sort of pushing the limits of how cold it will go. it is already back to 0 as soon as the sun set.

I wouldn;t normally split when so cold but I need the trailer cleared off to haul some stuff coming up and the 10 inches of snow on it was enough they think 10 more tonight and tomorrow , it's going to have to warm up to snow.

Quick update on the splitter. Just to summarize my procedure for starting and storing the unit and the “mods” I’ve done to get this thing running tiptop:

1. Cleaned up the rusty ignition module and magnet (I think this was the biggest problem)

2. Running synthetic oil

3. Changed AW46 hydraulic fluid and replaced with Dextron transmission fluid (the red stuff)

4. Replaced standard spark plug with E3

5. Running 100LL aviation fuel

As far as starting and storing the unit goes, I shut off the fuel while it is still running and I let it run until it starves and shuts down. I just leave the throttle in wide open position and the on/off switch on. When I start it, I turn on the fuel and give it two slow pulls to get some gas in the system and then I give it a full-on tug and she kicks every time on the first real pull. Runs like a champ!

My advice to anyone considering a DHT or any other unit (everything I’ve seen around here seems to be powered with the Kohler 6.5hp engine) is to make sure it runs PRIOR to purchase. I’m not sure the big-box stores will let you start it and assuming the gas is old, it may be an issue anyway. If you buy one that has been sitting outside, check out the magnet and ignition module before breaking your arm trying to get the thing to start. Maybe look into one in the back room or warehouse that hasn’t been on display out in the rain. These things aren’t necessarily waterproof and I do keep mine wrapped in a tarp. I have absolutely no complaints and I really love running this thing and the aviation fuel smells great. I just wish I knew back in the fall what I know now. :angry:

I won’t bother making a suggestion to Lowe’s about keeping them inside. They aren’t listening and they wouldn’t hear me anyway. My only suggestion to DHT is that they tailor the hydraulic fluid to the ZIP Code where the unit is being shipped. I’m guessing AW32 would have been fine and would have saved me a few bucks but for winter splitting, the parasitic load of the AW46 was probably a bit much. So if DHT is shipping to a Lowe’s in the Northeast, maybe fill the hydraulic fluid with AW32. Just a thought. With the transmission fluid,-no problem starting the splitter down to 16°.

I guess that’s all for now. Hope this helps anyone thinking about buying one or anyone already having fits!

Latest posts

Back