Quickest way to go from tree to firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I'm working farther from the house I'll load the truck with rounds and dump at home to split later. Lately I've been in a spot 2 minutes from home. I'll split everything on site with the fiskars loading the truck as I split then back up to the racks and stack right out of the truck. I've had to walk in twice lately do to the ice and snow. Just a saw and the axe so theres stuff up there waiting to be picked up.

I am cutting on my land so my plan is to cut and stack on pallets. Now that I have forks I hope to not have to touch it by hand till it go's to the stove. I still have to make up some pallets with sides.
Going to try for 1/4 cord per pallet. The way I have been doing it is cut split were it fell, move and stack, move to wood shed, move to wood box, put in stove, remove ash and put back in woods.

I am cutting on my land so my plan is to cut and stack on pallets. Now that I have forks I hope to not have to touch it by hand till it go's to the stove. I still have to make up some pallets with sides.
Going to try for 1/4 cord per pallet. The way I have been doing it is cut split were it fell, move and stack, move to wood shed, move to wood box, put in stove, remove ash and put back in woods.

How close can you get your pallets to your stove?

I kind of went backwards a bit a couple years ago in the handling department. I also used to wheel all my wood right into my basement right beside my boiler. But I also started seasoning it longer. Which meant an extra year for 'stuff' to accumulate in the pallets of wood (pine needles to mouse nests to snake skins to whatever...). So I stopped wheeling it in on pallets and instead now park them outside my basement door & wheel barrow it all in to the stacks. Now my wood inside is really clean & really dry, at the expense of a bit more grunt work in the fall.

Good observation.
This is the first winter we bypassed the wood shed and brought pallets up.
It's just the way last summer (very hot), and last fall shook out.
The wood shed, which normally has a three year turn over, is almost empty after last winter.
There is a couple cord in it now for next year, or the year after.
Also, the wood shown netted on pallets, is junk wood (wood I do not sell). When processing I fill a couple of the plastic crates and then palletize it so I can fill the crates again.
In the past I had a buyer for it. This year I don't, so we will burn it ourselves next year. It is cut offs, punky, etc. and much of it just doesn't stack well, so putting it in the shed isn't going to happen.
EDIT: The photo from the previous post is wood I could have sold last fall, but held back for our own use. The wood on pallets below is not seasoned, therefore not usable yet.
IMG_0246.jpg

How close can you get your pallets to your stove?

I kind of went backwards a bit a couple years ago in the handling department. I also used to wheel all my wood right into my basement right beside my boiler. But I also started seasoning it longer. Which meant an extra year for 'stuff' to accumulate in the pallets of wood (pine needles to mouse nests to snake skins to whatever...). So I stopped wheeling it in on pallets and instead now park them outside my basement door & wheel barrow it all in to the stacks. Now my wood inside is really clean & really dry, at the expense of a bit more grunt work in the fall.
My garage is under the house, so up stairs and I'm there. The wood box by the stove holds about 3-4 days so 5 good arms full or I have a wood cart that is like a hand truck.I'm getting a bit to old to pull that up the stairs sometimes just easier to grab a arm full.

It all depends on how many times you move it.

Dropped and limbed to road.
road to trailer
trailer to woodlot
woodlot to log pile
log pile to bucking table
bucking table to pile of rounds
round pile to splitter
splitter to woodlot stack
woodlot stack to stove stack
stove stack to stove
stove to ash bucket
ash bucket to wherever you dump it