Racing Axe Sources and Options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheese

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So this is low traffic and I am new, but I have a question.

I compete in collegiate timbersports as a newbie.

Our team is looking to add some new racing axes for chopping, we already have three that are used exclusively for practice. The problem is sourcing new stuff and making it fit our people.

At 6'5" with lots of arms, a normal Ox-head comp axe is right on with a 31" handle. Our female team members have to choke so far up on those axes being 5'5" that they are searching for their own stubbies. There has to be a better option.

Can anyone point me towards resources for racing axes besides Bailey's and Highland Woodworking? Guidance on grinds for different woods/conditions would be appreciated too.

Thanks.

Around here, we chop Aspen and Cottonwood for practice because the Ponderosa and Lodgepole pine is too knotty and anything else is hard to get a hold of.

At competitions, it is a toss up. I have only been to comps with cottonwood and a non-descript pine.

Comp blocks are 12-14".

Prompt response from Mr. Bosworth. Great prices too!

Pa Chopper is a dealer and axe grinder. He doesn't have a web page that I know of, nor do I have any contact information for him. Sorry.

sorry, but im a noob, what/who is pa chopper. is there a web page?

He is a member of this site, but hasn't been on here in about a year though.
You might look him up in the members list and send him a PM. It would probably notify him on his email, and he might respond.

Andy

How did you go in the end Travis? did you get anything? I hear ya on getting started in timbersports mate, Ive had a struggle here in Australia also, fortunatly I found an axeman who was looking to get ridf of some of his old axes-I bought 10! (lol) getting timber is the hardest thing here also. Ive been training on radiata pine off cuts from the local mill-cant get ash or other hardwoods like we cut in the arena which sucks.

Latest posts

Back