ArboristSite.com Sponsors

Radon any one?

Discussion in 'Off the Topic Forum' started by mga, Jan 15, 2020.

1. mga

mga wandering

wesstern NY, the land of taxes and strict laws
    So, we're buying a home in Monticello, Kentucky to escape from New York State. We looked at over 100 homes in Tennessee and Kentucky and found what we thought was the right one. Sits on Cumberland Lake with views and the home is "move in ready". Very clean and well kept.

Our purchase offer was accepted, got our loan, and had thee home inspection done. Minor issues that i can correct myself in a day or two. However, i asked for a radon test as well for an additional $150.

Got the results last night. the EPA says anything over 4.0 pCi/I should be corrected by EPA licensed contractors. The test readings we got back said the Radon was at 20 to 21.4 pCi/I OUCH!

Radon is the second most cancer causing agent, smoking is the first.

So, we contacted our agent who is contacting the sellers agent to see how to correct this...at not cost to us, of course. The EPA recommends that real estate agents selling a home suggest to get a test done BEFORE listing the house. This was not the case.

Problem is we sold our home, have everything in storage and we were supposed to close Feb 8th. Now, it's all on hold until we reach a settlement agreement. It costs about $2500 to $3500 to correct Radon gas from entering a home. Radon is a silent killer.

If you're buying a home, or selling a home, get a radon test done! Or, request the seller has it done by a reputable EPA certified contractor.

Lesson learned.

2. CentaurG2

CentaurG2 Addicted to ArboristSite

I spent many a year working with radioactive stuff but radon was not one of them. I do know it is a naturally occurring gas that has a very short half life and is way more common that most people think.

There is something to be said for not sealing your house too tight. I doubt it ever was a problem when houses did not have insulation and only came with single pane windows. Hope you get it solved without too much stress.

stihlaficionado likes this.
  3. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

I think my builder buddy said that radon mitigation is code now in MD. We just had a system installed and I think it ran more like $1500. They drilled a hole in the concrete floor, ran a 3-4" pipe out of the house and up the exterior wall. The fan goes on the outside. Ours is right outside the bed room window. When it gets cold the water vapor condenses on the inside of the pipe. As it goes up it turns back into water and runs back down the pipe, causing gurgling noises, When it freezes the water freezes and clunks as the fan pulls the chunk up and down. Our contractor just came out Monday and put a drain in the pipe where it turns to go up the exterior wall. No more gurgling. He has a life time guarantee on the system.

As mentioned above, the better sealed your house is, the worse the radon problem. Before they made it code for a mitigation system, the standard operating procedure was, open all windows, especially in the basement, run fans for a few hours, and it would clear out all the radon for several weeks. Plenty of time for a test to pass.

When the radon issue first came on the scene my brother in law worked for a company installing mitigation systems. They would wait till they had 5 jobs, then rent the drill to cut the hole in the concrete. They could knock out 5 houses a day and charged about $2500, mostly on the scare factor. Around here the price has come way down. If they think they have you over a barrel, look out. Good luck.

stihlaficionado likes this.
  4. Del_

Del_ Get outside.

Find another house.

5. mga

mga wandering

just talked with our agent. He talked with the seller's agent and another test will be done. If the readings are still high (over 4.0) then the seller will hire an EPA certified contractor to correct the problem. The good thing is the test results are done at a lab, so no cheating i hope.

But, you mentioned opening the windows...the testing kits must be placed for two days. I sure hope they don't leave any windows open to cheat. We are in NYS still and all this is happening in Kentucky. So, I'm depending on our agent to over see all this

6. mga

mga wandering

f1a2491f1456003f518751aaea2d9879.jpg
    looking at the US map from the EPA, radon is a national issue. Granted, some areas are less, but many are red.

[​IMG]

7. ktmtigger

ktmtigger ArboristSite Operative

Meh no big deal have the vent put in and forget about it. But if you have a well check that too.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

8. rarefish383

rarefish383 Addicted to ArboristSite

If you can zoom in on that map, the darkest red spot in MD is right on top of my house!

2lungs and mga like this.
  9. Del_

Del_ Get outside.

The place you are looking at is off the chart on that map.

I bet they knew it, too.

Why buy into a known radon problem?

You've got an out, I'd take it.

yooper and Oldengr like this.
  10. 50blues

50blues ArboristSite Operative

You just need to keep the area ventilated. Not a big deal. It's a gas, just vent the air and it goes away.

11. mga

mga wandering

we might just do that. but, not much choice according to the map

12. tla100

tla100 Addicted to ArboristSite

Or tell em you will do it for $3,000. Can buy blowers for $200. Maybe $200 for PVC and fittings. If you have a sump pit, use that for the intake. Seal the top of pit with plexiglass/caulk and cut hole for pipe. Run up n out of house. Have seen blowers in the basement or outside, lot on garahes or attics.

I have been in lots of houses that have them. Not sure how bad it really is, but talk to the radon guys and it is life n death. Have not done my house yet. I think tested 16-18.

13. stihl023/5

stihl023/5 Addicted to ArboristSite

Find another house.
    Tennessee would be waaaaay better than Kentucky.

14. bayard

bayard Addicted to ArboristSite

other things are going to take you out. a small vent will be plenty.

15. old CB

old CB ArboristSite Guru

When I sold a cabin in Colorado 4 yrs ago, the buyer's inspection flagged a high radon test and I had to install a radon pump system to complete the sale. $875. Done.

That $2500--3500 might reflect a different market, but the actual setup is relatively simple.

Your seller should take the hit.

Where I live, most places have a radon pump. My house included.

16. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

How do they stop it for that low cost?

17. Justsaws

Justsaws Addicted to ArboristSite

If you are sitting on limestone and ground water you got radon. Vent it. If you think you are stopping it then move to a flood plain and start building water proof full basements with lifetime warranties. Both types of contractors have about the same reputation.

Radon became a much bigger issue when supplied outside combustion air started becoming common for basement appliances such as furnaces and hot water heaters, it was always an issue in all electric basements, the tighter the basement the worse the issue. Moving the clothes dryer upstairs so people did not have to go into the basement to do the laundry also removed a vent from the basement, fairly decent one as well, floor level, timed, preformed a valuable task beyond just venting the basement, should be fairly quiet, low maintenance, etc..

Seal up a basement and radon, mold, mildew, etc., will accumulate. Ventilation for radon, biocides for the rest.

If the house was locked up tight for sale, then the number is going to be elevated. If it is occupied, it might be closer to a “real” number. Did they test each floor? Or stick the meter in the sump well and put the lid back on?

Meters get mixed reviews, probably a fair amount of human error, poor quality, etc., lab kits are viewed as more accurate however human error is still a problem, placement, timing, handling, etc..

Nice area in Kentucky, enjoy. Remember it is not New York and they like it that way.

mga, Onesawwonder and lone wolf like this.
  18. mga

mga wandering

lol...yep, we already are aware of that.. we're escaping NYS to get away from all the BS up here. We can fit right in down there very easily. I'll just have to learn to stop saying "youse guys" and say "y'all" instead. :)

rarefish383 likes this.
  19. lone wolf

lone wolf MS 200T King

Watch out for the Cider !

20. unclemoustache

unclemoustache My 'stache is bigger than yours.

Just remember, that even though you have an agent, their own best interest is for themselves. If there is no deal, they don't get paid, so they will do whatever it takes to close the deal FIRST, and then try and appease you. Keep in mind that the higher the price is, the more they make as well, so even though your agent is 'supposedly' on your side, they really would like the sale price to be as high as possible to boost their own commission......

I'm not too fond of the current realtor situation.

Agreed. Current radon remediation involves putting a secure barrier between the house and the earth, and a vent fan which creates a vacuum in that space to keep the radon out of the house. If you have a crawl space under the house, it's not a big deal - you're paying for someone to lay down some thick plastic and some venting. I'm not sure what is done if you have a poured basement floor, but I'm sure there are ways.