RADS system ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danjmoe4

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've been looking into the rads system. Does the hand ascender need to be a left handed or can you use a right handed one? I have all the other hardware needed but want to be sure first... Thanks, Dan

I've been looking into the rads system. Does the hand ascender need to be a left handed or can you use a right handed one? I have all the other hardware needed but want to be sure first... Thanks, Dan

I think the reason climbers use a left-handed ascender is because the rope enters the left side of the a Grigri (or similar device) and exits out of the right side. If you used a right-handed ascender then you'd need to flip the Grigri backwards with the release handle facing in. If you attached your Grigri to a swivel on your harness I suppose it wouldn't matter, for rappel you could spin the Grigri around so the release handle is facing out as recommended by Petzl. Works best overall with a left-handed ascender.
-moss

Thank you very much Moss. I will try it out and see how it works first with my right handed. But it may give me a reason to go shopping.

Thank you very much Moss. I will try it out and see how it works first with my right handed. But it may give me a reason to go shopping.

You can always flip your right-handed ascender around so the handle is on the left to see how it works, just makes it more difficult to take off the rope with the cam release away from you.
-moss

Back