Railway logging

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deere John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I spent the day today in the blackflies locating a road for a five-year cut. The area was cut before, near as I can figure, between 1900 and 1925. The interesting part was that I am scratching my head to put a road in this country that will allow a 48' trailer to have access, and we found an old railway bed.

The area was originally logged with horses and the logs transported to the main lake by short, isolated railways. I followed the bed and they crossed swamps, bridged creeks and pulled grades that I still avoid if possible. There was no hardware left, and the bridges were down, but I am left intregued by the ingenuity of the pioneers to get the wood out. I guess they used Shay and other all-wheel drive locomotives.

I have a video - Early rail logging at Fossmill in Algonquin Park - actual footage of the logging of hardwood in Algonquin Park, Ontario. Handsaw logging, steam cranes, steam engines and steam mills.

Just thought I'd share this info. I can point the way to the video for those interested. Anyone else know of railway logging information and equipment?

I would love to see the video also. I have an interest in trains as my grandfather was a big part of the Rio Grande Railroad. I dont think I have much info on railways and logging, but have tons on trains in general. Thanks for the thread, its very interesting.
Darin

Back