Rain... How wet is too wet for a saws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In the PNW we do get a lot of rain.
I've been out working in it a bunch over the years without thinking too much of it.
Today my little saw (ms241) got really soaked when a heavy green cedar branch came down over it and me.... like dumping off a tarp wet.
I'll skip today as it's just too hard of rain.

You guys that are saw wrenches (I'm not) what's your opinion?.. How wet is too wet?
thx!

Back in the day, it didn't rain on a logging job in the PNW. Including the fallers. That's what rain gear was for. Now wind.... that's a whole nother critter.

Rain, sleet snow ice or hail, makes no difference. And believe me I have been in some down pours for 8 hours plus.
I used to piss my old supervisor off, it be pouring down the rain and I leave the saw setting on a pack right out in it. Lmao

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ok guys thanks... that’s what I thought.(or rather hoped)
On my work projects rain only rarely stops us unless the materials are sensitive or the rain is sideways. (residential construction).
Tool use can become a bit centralized around shelter being electricity powered.
I did waste a cordless rotohammer getting it wet in heavy rain .

I did not think chainsaws give a damn but opinions are usually good to hear.

I know of some county road crews in PNW who never put their saws under cover when going from job to job. They are either in the back of the pickup or on the running board of a dump truck kept in place with a bunji cord. Totally out in the weather, in the rain, even though they had a tool box to put them in. They eventually started putting the saws that were on the running board of the dump trucks in the big heavy duty yellow plastic garbage bags, They never failed to start, these saws were not babied in any way, shape or form. All were Stihls.

I've never ran one in the rain but I've got one that I use in the creek to cut fallen trees with. It's had its muffler under water more than once and never missed a lick. Of course chain speed does slow down when buried. After cutting I dry the saw out and lube the sprocket tip real well.

Steve Sidwell

It won't hurt the saw BUT, make sure you run the saw enough after you finish cutting to get the bar/chain well oiled. A friend was cutting wood in the snow 2 weeks ago, and when I went to service his saw the chain had started rusting onto the bar. And yes he had plenty of oil in the tank, he just didn't run it after the last cut long enough. Better still, take the bar off, blow out the groove with compressed air and thrown the chain in some diesel.

Back