Raising the height of the wedge on my DHT splitter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky Joe

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Anyone out there have any ideas on how to raise the height of the wedge on my DHT splitter? For some of these gigantic rounds, the OEM wedge doesn’t quite cut it. I guess I could order another one from DHT and cut off the base and weld it to the existing one, nearly doubling my height. I also thought about just picking up a splitting wedge at HF for $8.00 with a coupon and welding that to the OEM wedge, but I’m guessing the angle would be off a bit. Thanks for any help!

IMG_1458.JPG

If I was going to do it, I'd buy the matching wedge and add to the height. Or fabricate something to match the original profile.

Pay attention to leverage....adding to the height will add significantly to the force on the beam attachment. You could easily tear the whole wedge off the beam.

What percentage of your splitting is the gigantic rounds? Maybe breaking them up before going to the splitter makes sense? Mine get broken up so I can lift them and then fit to the splitter with no problem.

The 4 way kit comes with an adjustable wedge (or used to anyhow). Like mentioned above, it does cause alot of stress on the wedge. Our kit had 3 height settings.

Gents, thanks. I am working on some pretty big gnarly oak and I still have some pretty big standing ash that would seem to warrant a taller wedge. It just gets a little frustrating having to take a hatchet to a split round to hack off the hangers on. Looks like good advice and thanks again.

Gents, thanks. I am working on some pretty big gnarly oak and I still have some pretty big standing ash that would seem to warrant a taller wedge. It just gets a little frustrating having to take a hatchet to a split round to hack off the hangers on. Looks like good advice and thanks again.

My countyline 40 ton splitter came with a 10'' wedge and I love it. My old splitter had a shorter wedge and I was always having to use a hatchet or flip the round over and run it through again. I almost never have to do that anymore.

I would get ahold of DHT and ask them if they can sell you the adjustable single wedge that comes with the 4 way. I bought the 4 way, and hate it, but I love the adjustable single. I leave it on all the time.

If your wedge design is like my Champion, you could add flat plate to the rear of your slide to spread/reduce the stress/torque of the increased height.

I popped in at the local surplus store the other day, hoping to find a nice piece of thick metal to maybe fabricate a blade to weld on top of the wedge, set an inch or so back but they didn't have anything heavy enough. I thought maybe such a blade would "bring up the rear" and sever any stringy hangers on. If anything grenaded, it would likely be my POS blade and crappy weld job. I may give DHT a ring and see what they can do about an adjustable height wedge. I hit their website last week and I'm not sure if they are still making the 25 ton unit?

You should be able to weld something on top of the wedge that matches the profile of the wedge thats on it. Grind some bevels to fill in as you weld so it will hold up. I would keep the cutting edge the same as the wedge thats on there and not set it back as you described. Tack it good on both sides then put some heat to it to get good penetration and it should hold up just fine. If it comes off, just re weld it. My wedge is 10'' tall and does a good job of getting the stringers cut. I love the taller wedge my new splitter has. I may even buy a back up splitter and I would buy the same one as I have now. I like it that much.

Back