raising trees (looking for ideas, reading material, etc)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oifla

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
hello all,

i'd like to get into tree farming in some capacity, just not exactly sure under what capacity: wood? pulp? tree nuts?

basically, at this early stage, i'm looking for experiences and information on tree farming to get a sense of what folks are doing to make some cash.

i'm looking for something i can do on a 10-15 acre plot. i've been reading on hay but i'm not convinced and i like trees more than fields :)

we don't have the land yet but depending on the job market and where that lands us that's what we are looking for property-wise.

i'd like something that i can do slowly and mostly by myself. not necessarily looking for an immediate return on investment but more like a long term side project.

any other forums to recommend in regard to this query?

as always, would appreciate your thoughts/ideas. thanks!

black locust grows like a weed and has many uses because of its great density and the fact that it can last 100+ years. A six inch diameter pole sells for $1.00/ linear foot right now and takes 10 years. They reach maturity in 40 years, at which point lumber can be made. Any trees with damage or defects will provide some of the best firewood you can find. Locust also fixes nitrogen into the soil so your soil will be of high quality after harvests and you could grow other plants around it too. They can be coppiced and the roots sprout so there's no need for replanting. There's also bamboo which is easy to grow and has many uses but I think black locust is the renewable champion of wood products and biofuels.

One of the biggest questions you need to ask your self is how soon do you wish to have a return on your investment.

If your looking for an annual return, hay or row cropping may be the ticket.

If you can hold out for 5-8 years before any return, and have no issue with some labor on your own part or hired out, you might check with your local extension office about viable Christmas tree species in your area.

Also think about a few of these issues, since you are looking at a smaller scale operation....

- what are timber/pulp/specialty markets in your area?
- how far away are the mills?
- would it be accessible in winter? (Tracts/stands can increase in value if a logger can reach them during the wet/cold season)
- talk with your local DNR/extension office/ Forestry Commision, see what cost shares or grants may be available to you

I'm coming in to my 2nd year of tree farming here in North Alabama but I grow ornamental and fruit trees for the wholesale trade. I'm also starting up around 5,000 Loblolly pines and around 2,500 Fraser Fir to grow out for growers who in a few years want to buy some time.

If I was in your situation with 10 to 15 acres to put in production and did not want to have to put a lot of time in... I would go head over heals for the eastern white pine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinus_strobus

I'm not sure if Loblolly would make it in IN.

Latest posts

Back