Ran across an interesting electric chainsaw; Stihl E30 220/440 volt power

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XPLRN

Dad ^^^^ wouldn't understand the CAD!!! :-)
Reaction score
Might there be some folks here that have the Stihl E30 ?? Hopefully so as I'd like to get some answers to questions I've got about this particular saw;

1. From what I've read here; Electric Chain Saw Profile: E 30 the saw requires 3 phase electrical power in either 220 or 440 volts?? That's not too commonly available in most non-industrial applications.

2. Is there a clutch that engages/disengages the chain or is it 'direct drive'??

3. Is the throttle lever just a 'on/off' switch sooo when you pull on it it just spins up to operating speed or ??

4. What is the operational noise level of the saw when powered on and spinning at the 2800 RPM claimed in the Acres link above??

5. The Acres link refers to the saw having a gear reduction drive. Sooo is the 2800 RPM operating speed the speed of the electric motor before the gear reduction or after the alleged reduction??

Thanks in advance for any information you can share!

I have used the 220 stihl and it is stronger than I thought it would be. I've been trying to lay my hands on the 220V version of the stihl E30 for a while now. I have talked to guys that have run 48" bars on those monsters.
PM me 'hoss' .

IMG_1812_zpsd482daf4.jpg

IMG_1813_zps497dfb2f.jpg

IMG_1814_zps71829c57.jpg

IMG_1815_zpsace1f9fd.jpg

IMG_1816_zps35b72d4c.jpg

IMG_1817_zps8dc6e70c.jpg

IMG_1818_zps0fdc5297.jpg

3phoseSNAFU_zps442816f7.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty cool.

Saw was probably designed for use in a sawmill or other industrial operation where 3 phase power is available and more efficient, allowing a lighter weight motor perhaps?

Just as manufacturers design different models of electrical equipment to work in Europe, US, etc., there may have been single phase 240 V models offered. I am constantly amazed at the different types and models of chainsaws that have been produced through the years.

Philbert

If I remember correctly in Europe they use different voltages than we do here at our houses. It is possible that some places may run houses on 3 phase...

Not that I am aware of, although many people that I know have an extra 3 phase socket usually in the garage or near the work bench to run some larger equipment(compressor, welder, etc.).

Not that I am aware of, although many people that I know have an extra 3 phase socket usually in the garage or near the work bench to run some larger equipment(compressor, welder, etc.).

That is probably just a 220 outlet, not a three phase outlet. Three phase is expensive to run and it is very uncommon in non-commercial settings. Many areas do not even have 3 phase available and it is very expensive (read: $100k) to extend to a location not already served.

3 phase has a couple benefits from my research. First is much lower starting amps, second, longer service life due to the extra phases hitting in the alternating current resulting in less wear on the motor's brushes, and a reduced electric usage due to the above stated efficiencies.

I am not an electrician or elctrical engineer, but i have been around enough of these conversations to know some of the benefits of 3 phase motors.

That is definitely an industrial tool.

Electric Chainsaw - Page 2[/url]

In Germany, three phase power was made available to factories, workshops and yards as early as 1900-1910. Three phase power could shift Wattages that DC or single phase AC couldn't and selling it provided stable bread and butter for electricity companies.Money earned through companies was reinvested to spread out networks to consumers and their large prospect markets of lighting and household appliances. So many timber yards were fitted with three phase AC and one- or two man operated cutoff saws were lugged around for milling timber prior to treating it with thicknessers and circular saws. The E 30 was the last in the line of three phase one-man saws (attachments for two-man operation were available and bars as long as 150 cms were part of the E30's program). The final version of the E 30 features 3300 Watts intake for 2700 Watts output, spinning the 7-teeth sprocket at around 2780 rpm. So this is a slow saw but with plenty of torque. 2700 Watts outputs means that you carry around 3.7 real horsepower , which is fairly unique for an electric portable tool. There is no soft start and no brake system whatsoever, so you need to keep concentrated while using it.

Looks like quite a beast!

Philbert

I just can't help wondering how large a chunk of the bar and chain would be vaporized if you hit the cord....

I just can't help wondering how large a chunk of the bar and chain would be vaporized if you hit the cord....

A cord (cable?) for that size motor would be hard to overlook. A saw like that is not one you would crawling all over stuff with. Plug (wire) it in behind you and pretty much cut in the same place I am assuming.

Philbert

That is probably just a 220 outlet, not a three phase outlet. Three phase is expensive to run and it is very uncommon in non-commercial settings. Many areas do not even have 3 phase available and it is very expensive (read: $100k) to extend to a location not already served.

3 phase has a couple benefits from my research. First is much lower starting amps, second, longer service life due to the extra phases hitting in the alternating current resulting in less wear on the motor's brushes, and a reduced electric usage due to the above stated efficiencies.

I am not an electrician or elctrical engineer, but i have been around enough of these conversations to know some of the benefits of 3 phase motors.

That is definitely an industrial tool.

I know what 3 phase is and that it is usually used in a industrial setting. Many people prefer their electric tools in 400v. My BIL just had 3 phase installed in his newly built garage and it cost him a few hundred €. Usually at least here in Austria it is rather easy to have 400 V installed at least when building new.

A cord (cable?) for that size motor would be hard to overlook. A saw like that is not one you would crawling all over stuff with. Plug (wire) it in behind you and pretty much cut in the same place I am assuming.

Philbert
Well, yeah, but humans being human and all....

They make 3-phase generators.

I expect that the saw was more intended to be used in industrial environments, though.

That's a interesting thought, I'll check it out. I wonder if said generator(s) have the ability to be switched back and forth between single and 3-phase functioning??

Here in europe 3 phase is common, here in the rural area im guessing 90% of the households have it. But our whole electrical system is a bit different than yours, starting with our transformers mostly being 1 unit for all 3 phases and you guys use single units. 3 phases in the hose is no more expensive then going single, except if you want a really low power option to lower costs (like single 16A fuse). A lot of people don't even have 3p outlets tho. Or maybe one in the garage that never gets used. :)

As for that saw, I saw one of these for sale on our local "craigslist", it had something like a milling set up on it (home made). I was thinking of making a topic bout it since i haven't seen one like it before. :) Looked pretty beat up tho.

For the people that want to run it on 1p, you have no idea what 3p is all about. You can get so much more power out of it... More or less every single phase appliance is limited to about 2200W, because manufacturers know that most outlets are protected with 10A fuses (well at least here where we use 230V). Using a 3P gives you instant 3 times the power + you can connect things on 380V (so now we're at x6) + 3P outlets are usually heavy duty stuff and people using 3P tools usually know what they are doing so there are not much limitations for manufacturers with the 3P tools. Around here theres usually 16 or 20A fuses on the homeowner 3P outlets, so now we're talking 10 times more power if you need it. 1P household sockets just don't provide enough juice to power a good electric saw.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! 3P motors are simpler to make and more efficient. Brushless, just take a few magnets, 3 wires, some iron, 2 bearings and you're golden. It will work until the bearings die out. And bearings don't die out so easily on electric stuff. :) Because they're more efficient they can be lighter.

There is virtually no market for it tho, that's why nobody is making a 3P chainsaw anymore. If any of the major manufacturers with their R&D wanted to make one with today's materials, technology and knowledge it could be a kick ass saw that could probably leave the 880s, 3120 and 090s wanting. Unfortunately there are not much big trees that need cutting located less than 50m from the nearest power outlet. It could make one hell of a milling saw tho. :msp_scared:

As for that saw, I saw one of these for sale on our local "craigslist", it had something like a milling set up on it (home made). I was thinking of making a topic bout it since i haven't seen one like it before. :) Looked pretty beat up tho.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE! 3P motors are simpler to make and more efficient. Brushless, just take a few magnets, 3 wires, some iron, 2 bearings and you're golden. It will work until the bearings die out. And bearings don't die out so easily on electric stuff. :) Because they're more efficient they can be lighter.

There is virtually no market for it tho, that's why nobody is making a 3P chainsaw anymore. If any of the major manufacturers with their R&D wanted to make one with today's materials, technology and knowledge it could be a kick ass saw that could probably leave the 880s, 3120 and 090s wanting. Unfortunately there are not much big trees that need cutting located less than 50m from the nearest power outlet. It could make one hell of a milling saw tho. :msp_scared:

Great post..........thanks for sharing your knowledge about the 3-phase electrical power!!

I don't know if this add will open for you guys acros the pond, but the saw came back up... Its supposed to be from 1930 :eek:

STIHL

Back