Rancher 455 woes

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mac455

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

New to the site. I've done several searches and can't seem to find my issues.
The Husky 455 Rancher (8 years old or so) saw started dying at full throttle all of sudden after about a half hours work. It would restart but die again under full load. It's never done this before.

I've checked the following:
Plug - replaced and getting a spark
Fuel filter - replaced
compression - 110
Fuel lines have been replaced recently with genuine Husky parts.
I tried to remove exhaust, but can't get screws to turn so I've not inspected the cylinder.

After all this, it was still no better so I decided to rebuild the carburetor which is a WTEA-1 using kit K10-wtea. The old carb parts looked really clean and I found no obvious debris anywhere in the carb nevertheless I replaced the parts that came with the kit.

That finished, I fired it up and now it's running rich, like gas coming out of the exhaust rich. It will run at wide-open throttle, but with tons of smoke and it won't idle. I removed limiters and set all three screws back to fully seated and it starts temporarily. I moved the T screw, L and H out about a turn and a half, but all it does is flood unless I hold the throttle open and then it just spews unburnt gas and smoke everywhere.

Also, I hooked up a mighty-vac to the fuel line in the tank and it won't hold pressure there is a slow leak. I noticed when it was apart there was no washer on the fuel pump screw. Not sure if this model carb has one or not. I don't recall if it was there when I disassembled the part.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any help you can send my way.

Mac

Run it till it does it again, then start opening the gas cap and listen for a hissing sound, if you do its probably the tank vent. Also see how long it'll run after and repeat

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I rebuilt a carb the other day and the metal plate on the diaphragm, had a nub on it that was longer than the one I replaced. This in turn pushed down on the metering lever at all times and caused it to run like you described. I had to go back to the old diaphragm and it now runs great. Also, without knowing your experience with rebuilding carbs, could you have your diaphragm and gasket in the wrong order on the side with the metering lever? It may not be an issue, but a suggestion on something to check if these more experienced fixers don't get you the answer you need.

There is a hissing sound when the cap is opened. Where is the vent on the 455? I can't find it.

This is my first chainsaw, but have done cars before. I noticed the kit had a bigger nub also, so I went back in to change it out. I double-checked the order too. No joy, it's still drowning in gas. Meter adjustment? Is that a possible culprit?

Thanks for the replies.

Thanks for those resources. I've consulted them both before, but I still can find a fuel vent for my particular model.

This May be no help.
I just had a similar problem to your original issue with a 350 Husky.
The tank vent on that one is on the clutch side of the saw. Look in the gap between tank and carb housing, directly behind where the front handle goes up.

Ok, I found it and cleared it. But, it's still running super-rich blowing gas out of the exhaust.

Can you run without the tank vent?

Did you use a husky or oem kit? There is no guarantee a China kit will work right.

Good tips above about double checking the order and lever height. Someone has suggested using the original lever to avoid adjustment problems.

I’ve purchased a few used 455 Ranchers to fix up and resell. It seems every one I’ve seen has the piston ring stuck in the piston from being gummed up from incorrect oil mix or something. I removed ring and cleaned out ring groove, installed new ring, put back together and ran great. I did have one bad carburetor one time.

Sounds like the lever adjusted incorrect or the gasket and diaphragm in the wrong order.

I’ve purchased a few used 455 Ranchers to fix up and resell. It seems every one I’ve seen has the piston ring stuck in the piston from being gummed up from incorrect oil mix or something. I removed ring and cleaned out ring groove, installed new ring, put back together and ran great. I did have one bad carburetor one time.
lol, the only one ive worked on had the EXACT same thing. low compression, piston looked perfect.

Hello,

New to the site. I've done several searches and can't seem to find my issues.
The Husky 455 Rancher (8 years old or so) saw started dying at full throttle all of sudden after about a half hours work. It would restart but die again under full load. It's never done this before.

I've checked the following:
Plug - replaced and getting a spark
Fuel filter - replaced
compression - 110
Fuel lines have been replaced recently with genuine Husky parts.
I tried to remove exhaust, but can't get screws to turn so I've not inspected the cylinder.

After all this, it was still no better so I decided to rebuild the carburetor which is a WTEA-1 using kit K10-wtea. The old carb parts looked really clean and I found no obvious debris anywhere in the carb nevertheless I replaced the parts that came with the kit.

That finished, I fired it up and now it's running rich, like gas coming out of the exhaust rich. It will run at wide-open throttle, but with tons of smoke and it won't idle. I removed limiters and set all three screws back to fully seated and it starts temporarily. I moved the T screw, L and H out about a turn and a half, but all it does is flood unless I hold the throttle open and then it just spews unburnt gas and smoke everywhere.

Also, I hooked up a mighty-vac to the fuel line in the tank and it won't hold pressure there is a slow leak. I noticed when it was apart there was no washer on the fuel pump screw. Not sure if this model carb has one or not. I don't recall if it was there when I disassembled the part.

Thanks for reading this and I appreciate any help you can send my way.

Mac
Comp is low, for one. These are dead simple saws to work on, sort out the carb, find out why comp is low, you’ll have a decent firewood saw.

455 was the first saw I bought. Did well for the first few years then the oil pump was a constant issue, replaced it once, cleaned the tank, all tubes and channels with compressed air and still wouldn't oil right. Good luck!

I bought my dad a 455 2 years ago to replace/upgrade his 350 husky that has been blown up and rebuilt 2 times by the dealer. The last time it blew up they said we will give you a new saw. My dad said no thanks so they have him his money back and husky corporate said he could keep the saw. So I rebuilt it with a kafar 346 kit. I got the kit for $50 after the discounts I had from eBay. The 455 had been real good saw for dad. Not as rev happy as my rebuilt ported 346/350 I did for him but has more torque that suits my dad's cutting style better.

I've been out of town for a few days. Thanks for all the input. I'm pretty sure the issue is with the metering. I need to order the gauge and check.

Back