Rancher 455 - Worth ? w/ low comp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jathens7

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I bought a 2009 rancher 455 that has been in a storage unit for three years with the same fuel in it.
It has 70 pounds of compression & lots of carbon.
I soaked the piston for two weeks with Marvel mystery oil thinking that may be the ring is stuck with the carbon. Still no luck.
It was a home owner saw barely used, but not maintained.
What do you all think it’s worth for parts/repairable? It’s got a 20 inch bar and a new Husqvarna chain that was given to me with it.
Just wondering what a fair price to offer it to someone would be for them to rebuild it or use this parts. Thanks

I bought a 2009 rancher 455 that has been in a storage unit for three years with the same fuel in it.
It has 70 pounds of compression & lots of carbon.
I soaked the piston for two weeks with Marvel mystery oil thinking that may be the ring is stuck with the carbon. Still no luck.
It was a home owner saw barely used, but not maintained.
What do you all think it’s worth for parts/repairable? It’s got a 20 inch bar and a new Husqvarna chain that was given to me with it.
Just wondering what a fair price to offer it to someone would be for them to rebuild it or use this parts. Thanks
50-100$ if it’s got a burnt up piston and cylinder, problem is you really need to pull the head off to tell that. Since it’s a clamshell case that will take a little bit of work. You may get a good idea by looking though the muffler but, it could have an air leak and burnt up the side of the piston/cylinder you can’t see. Taking off the muffler would be a good start. I wouldn’t give much over 50$ for a homeowner grade saw if the top end is burnt up, maybe a little more if it has a new bar and chain.

Still may be a partially stuck ring . As advised check out the exhaust 1st to identify any potential piston damage , otherwise tear it down to confirm. It's a $500 saw new , so you could rebuild it for $150 for a firewood saw , as is $75- $100 is about what you may get on a good day . Good luck ! ;)

Back