Rare Grafted Elms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ready, Set, GO!

:biggrinbounce2: After knocking on these peoples door everyday now for a few days I finally caught a grandson in the yard and got to the property owners. Old elderly couple, I said sir do you know the story behind your big tree? What tree, the Camperdown Elm? YES! So you know? Know what? ...So I brought the couple out front with their grandson and told them to have a seat, we chatted about the tree I told them the story behind it, then they told me theirs. The old lady said 20 years ago she came running out front in her bath robe yelling at the town in the middle of the winter (they were removing a limb from the grid, and they left no collar the fking idiots). They told me I am free to do whatever I please to try and help it and freed myself from all future responsibility for its condition or collapse. I did not make them sign anything because they were so nice I just sealed the deal with a few handshakes I think I should be good. So after I am finished putting new struts in a friends car this will be my neck project so I will keep everyone updated, now's the chance to experiment and let us all learn a thing or two about this tree? ;)

:biggrinbounce2: After knocking on these peoples door everyday now for a few days I finally caught a grandson in the yard and got to the property owners. Old elderly couple, I said sir do you know the story behind your big tree? What tree, the Camperdown Elm? YES! So you know? Know what? ...So I brought the couple out front with their grandson and told them to have a seat, we chatted about the tree I told them the story behind it, then they told me theirs. The old lady said 20 years ago she came running out front in her bath robe yelling at the town in the middle of the winter (they were removing a limb from the grid, and they left no collar the fking idiots). They told me I am free to do whatever I please to try and help it and freed myself from all future responsibility for its condition or collapse. I did not make them sign anything because they were so nice I just sealed the deal with a few handshakes I think I should be good. So after I am finished putting new struts in a friends car this will be my neck project so I will keep everyone updated, now's the chance to experiment and let us all learn a thing or two about this tree? ;)

good on you for helpen out a couple older folk. I'll hang around and watch yer thread. I have also been inspired by these trees. I know of 4 here in the U.P. that I have run across. If I get in the area of the other 3 I will snap a photo for you. highly unlikely though they are about 100 miles away.:cheers:

good on you for helpen out a couple older folk. I'll hang around and watch yer thread. I have also been inspired by these trees. I know of 4 here in the U.P. that I have run across. If I get in the area of the other 3 I will snap a photo for you. highly unlikely though they are about 100 miles away.:cheers:

I've seen quite a handful around my town, wiki says Stockbridge is one of the only places in the US they were brought to which is why there are quite a few around my town, BUT they are all the size of the first tree I posted, this one towers over them all by FAR. I think this is the areas "mother" but that's just my happy thought.

Says that they ARE susceptible to DED and the WYCH Elm is highly susceptible which is what this tree is (with a mutant Wych top) but the wiki for Wych Elm says "The tree usually succumbs to disease a few years after achieving sexual maturity." does this mean they do not show that they are diseased until it's too late and they are mature like this one? Because there is definitely something wrong with the tree if any of you can help, not only the random dead branches but also the leaves have crispy strips in them.

This HAS to be elm leaf miner! It is covered in the things BADLY. Now the question is how do I kill them because they drop to the ground in early June to go underground. So what do I spray under the drip line to kill them???
IMG_2824-Copy.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

Last edited:
This tree has always reminded me of this poster:
3tjhrtj0.jpg

4-10.jpg

15-1.jpg

6-4.jpg

I think those black things are the miners themselves, tree is covered head to toe in them
6-Copy.jpg

Normal taper on healthy side of the tree:
16-1.jpg

No taper on unhealthy side:

13-1.jpg

Unhealthy sides missing limbs I can count 3:
18-1.jpg

Last call before I start

So place your bets now, I think I have got it figured out. There is a stone wall that is on the same side as the trunk rot and graft rejection. I think the tree is older than the wall and someone back filled this side of the front yard which is why the flare is only visible on the opposite side. So I am just trying to call this one out before I start, I will measure the walls height and compare it to my results when I reach the taper and flare on this side.

23-1.jpg

24-1.jpg

hey I missed toms post......no Its been a couple years since I took that photo but I think its a world globe If I remember right. It was down town Houghton Michigan and the old bat that lived in the house chased me out of there when she seen me taken the photos. Crazy old Finlanders. ☺

That monkey got a big set of lips .....
weird_monkey.jpg

If this tree has historic signifigance you might end up being able to find something from the local library or college on it. If things start to get expensive or something else happens, the local community either official or unoffical may provide an avenue for assistance.
I'm not one to run to the city fathers for help or even worse advice, but this would seem just the living history the local community should want to preserve.
Steve

If this tree has historic signifigance you might end up being able to find something from the local library or college on it. If things start to get expensive or something else happens, the local community either official or unoffical may provide an avenue for assistance.
I'm not one to run to the city fathers for help or even worse advice, but this would seem just the living history the local community should want to preserve.
Steve

I wish that the town felt that way about their shade trees we have the worst maintenance of shade trees I've ever seen. When I go to buy pesticides I might ask the town for assistance. I'm guessing the municipal grounds service for my town?

Todays Work

So today I just couldn't help but get a start on this bad boy so before I even touch the root flare, I needed to clear my working space seeing how this tree is way overdue for some cosmetic pruning (when will I ever get the chance to prune a camperdown again?) not to mention I think the graft rejection/rot could use a little sunlight and some fresh air/breeze. These are before and after screen shots from the video I took doing it.

Untitled1.png

Untitled2-1.png

This is a video I took today of what I THINK are true wych elm whips or suckers coming from a surfacing root off the trunk. They are growing upward so I don't think it is mutant like the top! Take a look tell me what you think because I am going to start pulling clones from this root and starting some wych elm bases for my future camperdown elms! So looks like I will be able to supply you guys with both a top and bottom to start your own. I will leave a few leaves so I continuously get new suckers hopefully (once black screen appears video is done): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjXf6Wi4TbI

Last edited:
I would say those suckers are Wych Elm since like you said they are coming off of the root. Way to go PFE. Very nice job on the prunning.

Thank You

I would say those suckers are Wych Elm since like you said they are coming off of the root. Way to go PFE. Very nice job on the prunning.

Thanks for your opinion I appreciate it! It's kind of a win/lose situation. If the tree was never put into stress at the buttress then these suckers would have never grown, first camperdown I have seen with suckers and there is only 1 company online that sells Wych elms they seem to be more rare then American elms. Coming from the Asian minor they are a decent ded alternative even grown normally. I find Camperdowns hard to age because the grafts are all below breast height at about 4'

Last edited by a moderator:
I wish that the town felt that way about their shade trees we have the worst maintenance of shade trees I've ever seen. When I go to buy pesticides I might ask the town for assistance. I'm guessing the municipal grounds service for my town?

I'm so far away from you not only in terms of distance, but also in the way people think. Hopefully others living in that part of the country can contribute. For me, I would start with the municipal Public Works Department and then move my way up to City Council. My attitude is they're here to serve the public. The City Council is elected by the community, and the city employees are paid through our local taxes.
Steve

I'm so far away from you not only in terms of distance, but also in the way people think. Hopefully others living in that part of the country can contribute. For me, I would start with the municipal Public Works Department and then move my way up to City Council. My attitude is they're here to serve the public. The City Council is elected by the community, and the city employees are paid through our local taxes.
Steve

I'm not good at this political stuff and history. I don't even know if that's what you call it, but I will take this into thought after the municipal grounds denies me haha. The MA forester told me that they cut out the department or whatever it was you used to call to report dutch elm diseased elms because of budget reasons.

Keep us posted. Probably won't comment any more, but I will be watching with interest.
Thanks. It's a good story to follow. Oh, and I might be passing through on my way to Vermont next month. Where is this exactly?

Latest posts

Back