Rare Grafted Elms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Pics! Your statement of the tree health after your work reminds me of how I feel after washing & waxing my car, always seems to run better.
We're in Vermont right now, trying to see how taking a detour to go see the Camperdowns is going to work in.
The trees in the Northeast are truly incredible. Land of opportunity for an arborist.
Steve W.
When I wash my truck I'm aleways worried what will decide to break.

Added another inch of mulch a few days ago:
IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3809.jpg

IMG_3812.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

Help On The Way Slipknot

Well this flux area has started to dry up nicely now :)
30-1.jpg

45.jpg

This area is also looking better, I did knock out a few chunks of wood with a rubber mallet a few weeks ago and am thinking about going back for some more with a chizel to help it out because of the callusing.
46.jpg

47.jpg

Check out the small cracks in the bark where the callus is expanding, this is good! I need to clear this dead wood for it's path:

48-Copy.jpg

48.jpg

Here is a questionable problem though, is this the first sign of this years elm yellows? They said every year the leaves turn yellow early and fall off, does it start with a single branch and work across the tree because this is the only branch on the whole tree yellow?
44.jpg

This description sure does look and fit the symptoms of the suckers...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elm_Yellows

Last edited:
Frig

BAM just like that gone the whole branch, now the one to the right is going as well :( son of a btch. I wonder if those 2 roots you can see I cut ^ that are directly lined up the trunk parallel to this limb have anything to do with it, dowt it though.
49.jpg

50.jpg

Great Work!

that "flux area" looks like it comes from a hole--ream it out and check for bugs

yes chiseloing the loose crap out of that perennial canker may speed closure. also please take closeups of that conk for ID. slice open too.

Looks like a few more cuts could be made on girdling roots--Paint lines where you think you might do this.

Great Work!

that "flux area" looks like it comes from a hole--ream it out and check for bugs

yes chiseloing the loose crap out of that perennial canker may speed closure. also please take closeups of that conk for ID. slice open too.

Looks like a few more cuts could be made on girdling roots--Paint lines where you think you might do this.

Thank you, which flux area there are two? There's a small area that doesn't have a hole and there's the large open wound that has flux and a possibly slit it comes from. I will chisel away this week at some point, and take lots of photos as always :)

As far as the girdling roots go I don't think I am going to mess with them again until next spring I have other stuff that needs help now that its already mulched in, like dead wood removal and such.

the smaller wet area does appear to have a hole at the top.

put off more root work thats fine but do in september 2011 not spring.

this ncsu paper is not accurate--disappointing to see dr. grand's name on it. :bang:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/od8.html

removing rot and rinsing away gunk is a good idea.

attached paper has been peer-reviewed. it was written about oaks but may apply to other species.

the smaller wet area does appear to have a hole at the top.

put off more root work thats fine but do in september 2011 not spring.

this ncsu paper is not accurate--disappointing to see dr. grand's name on it. :bang:
http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/pp/notes/oldnotes/od8.html

removing rot and rinsing away gunk is a good idea.

attached paper has been peer-reviewed. it was written about oaks but may apply to other species.

Thanks! I did read that article before lol

September? Ugh what an inconvenience I guess I might as well hack away some more on one of my old growth maples then next month. Thanks for all the stuff, I will post what I come up with after some delicate chiseling work :)

Update

I had a little free time spent about an hour chiseling away. Noting unusual just some ear wigs, spiders, and white grubs/centipedes here and there. Still needs another hour of chiseling before it's cleaned out though.
46.jpg

51.jpg

48-Copy.jpg

53.jpg

47.jpg

52.jpg

Here is the smaller rotting area and the bark under it could easily be pulled off with a few fingers in large sheets like the other side, should I? This bark is never going to reattach itself to the tree anyway now it just needs air right? Then there is another spot I noticed today with no rot yet but while tapping around with a rubber mallet I heard and saw the dead bark stripe down the drunk in between the red lines.
55.jpg

56.jpg

good job chiseling so far

that fungus--small brown conk-- looks like a weak pathogen.

the hollow-sounding area just stops at the dotted line? not unusual for crevices to rot, but then again some elm bark sounds dead when actually there is just an air pocket between it and living phloem, so proceed with caution

good job chiseling so far

that fungus--small brown conk-- looks like a weak pathogen.

the hollow-sounding area just stops at the dotted line? not unusual for crevices to rot, but then again some elm bark sounds dead when actually there is just an air pocket between it and living phloem, so proceed with caution

Thanks, I am going to admit I don't know what a conk is or a pathogen. Is this bad?

Yes the hollow sound stops at the red line and also stops exactly at the graft line, there's is a piece at the bottom you can see that came off really easily. I will leave it alone, but I have observed two things lately. 1 is a white color in some areas, looks like spray paint and hard to get on camera tried. 2 is white mushrooms growing at the corner of the sidewalk about 6 feet away from the trunk.

, I am going to admit I don't know what a conk is or a pathogen. Is this bad?

look it up

Yes the hollow sound stops at the red line and also stops exactly at the graft line, there's is a piece at the bottom you can see that came off really easily. I will leave it alone, but I have observed two things lately. 1 is a white color in some areas, looks like spray paint and hard to get on camera tried.

if onbly on the outside of the bark then no problem; could be lichen

2 is white mushrooms growing at the corner of the sidewalk about 6 feet away from the trunk.

pic?

, I am going to admit I don't know what a conk is or a pathogen. Is this bad?

look it up

Yes the hollow sound stops at the red line and also stops exactly at the graft line, there's is a piece at the bottom you can see that came off really easily. I will leave it alone, but I have observed two things lately. 1 is a white color in some areas, looks like spray paint and hard to get on camera tried.

if onbly on the outside of the bark then no problem; could be lichen

2 is white mushrooms growing at the corner of the sidewalk about 6 feet away from the trunk.

pic?

My bad I looked them up. There is no fruiting conks that I am aware of.

The season seems to be ending I kicked the last one yesterday if they come back I will photograph them.

" Is it helping the deadwood removal or is it a pest/larva?"

All the above. extract and bury it and its ilk.

Back