Rare Grafted Elms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is really galling

Pest1122.jpg

Darn, I knew the tree was already infected with the leaf miner I just did not know they bury into the trunk. Maybe that small fluxing area is full of them? The second photo I have never seen that before, but what will the removal of 1 worm do this thing must be infested with them!

I'll be in the area from Texas in about a week or so, hoping I can drop by and take a look. Looks like a grand tree to be working on. Keep up the good work, oh and the updates too!
Steve W

Try as I might, I just couldn't make it. So close and yet so far away. Ah well, got a daughter talking about moving up to Utica New York. Who knows?
Thanks for the invite anyway.
Steve W.

I got to the bottom of the yellowing sections! Appears to me at least, that this is completely normal. Being the largest of its kind anywhere around, it started showing signs early of fall. Within a few weeks after my observation I noticed other Camperdowns about 1/3-1/4 the size of this one taking on the same yellowing in remote areas. Thank god for the false alarm but the rot spots are still getting at me, should I just start spooning away the bark on the smaller of the two holes/rot areas? There's no opening YET on the small area but what if its a ball of larva ready to burst next year? I just don't know where to take this from here.
:monkey:

Man I'm just a follower, so I can't comment on it from an educated/experienced POV. I'm sure some others will be along to let you know. It looked good to me thougt FWIW. Two thumbs up.

Man I'm just a follower, so I can't comment on it from an educated/experienced POV. I'm sure some others will be along to let you know. It looked good to me thougt FWIW. Two thumbs up.

+1 !
Great work ethic and focus. Good on ya!
Steve W.

+1 !
Great work ethic and focus. Good on ya!
Steve W.

His comment or my work? haha

I'm still battling that wound, the dark bark strip widened I think since I chiseled some dead wood from the edges of that wound so that the callus lips would close easier with nothing their way.

All I have to say is wow... what an amazing song, is that you? I don't know of a single DeadHead/Babyboomer that could interpret those lyrics the way I just did, I give it two thumbs up...and my big toe :laugh:

What kind of Camera did you use?

Rep sent.

I use a Panasonic HDC-SD9 with a lens hood they are among the worlds smallest full 1920x1080P HD cameras (3CCD of course) with optimized image stabilization ...not too shabby?

Appreciated and returned :biggrinbounce2:

Last edited:
All I have to say is wow... what an amazing song, is that you? I don't know of a single DeadHead/Babyboomer that could interpret those lyrics the way I just did, I give it two thumbs up...and my big toe :laugh:

:

no not me I cant sing and the only thing I know how to play is the radio. good work on the tree.

The tree's in Wikipedia

Hey! Looked at Wikipedia to check the growing zones and there's your tree!
Congrats dude, you're famous, er, or at least the tree is. You're the unnamed person performing the restoration.
Steve W.

Hey! Looked at Wikipedia to check the growing zones and there's your tree!
Congrats dude, you're famous, er, or at least the tree is. You're the unnamed person performing the restoration.
Steve W.

hehe... I'm the one who added the article :hmm3grin2orange:

Well, read the Camperdownii article on there, is the tree not worthy of it or what? :bowdown:

I did read it and couldn't agree more. That tree is certainly worthy of being included. That's not what I intended to imply. I just thought it was funny (in a cool way) that you included it. I think you are the first person I know (in the forum sense) to actually contribute information to wikipedia.

I've corrected my earlier post...

Back