Rare Grafted Elms

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still have lots of unsolved problems like the smaller rot area??
58-1.jpg

582.jpg

There is a passage in some hollow sounding bark that dosen't look good:

59-1.jpg

Lots of lost limbs from the past, some of the edges of their calluses look like the larger graft meet rot area so I am wondering if my "graft rejection" theory is wrong and there was a lower limb there.

55-1.jpg

57-1.jpg

This one was the power company 5-10 years ago:

56-1.jpg

December... the Camperdowns are the LAST to drop their leaves (literally first or second frost)
61-1.jpg

62.jpg

Thanks guys, actually I do a lot of amateur film making and these trees have inspired me. So I'm going to try and make the time to shoot some scenes of all the notable Camperdowns in my town using a camera dolly and blend summer shots into winter shots with no leafs.

Last edited:
Help?

It's that time again, spring! This is when I need to take on my elm leaf miner problem, so what I was able to grasp is to spray the leaves before they get munched on so the leaf miners will eat the poison. I am limited on equipment so I will be hand climbing the tree along with the use of latters to spray the foliage with some sort of a back pack sprayer.

What do I use?? The best I was able to research last year is to use Criterion 75 WSP Insecticide (replaces Merit 75)

There seems to also be a root drench method, maybe combine both methods to be effective?

I would go with just the drench of Imidicloprid, though i think that should have been done last fall for best uptake.

When i was treating, ten years ago, we would have used Orthene. Is it still available??

I would go with just the drench of Imidicloprid, though i think that should have been done last fall for best uptake.

When i was treating, ten years ago, we would have used Orthene. Is it still available??

I don't know man pesticides aren't my thing. All I know is I have got to make some sort of attempt before they start munching. This is a historic tree fading away.

The new shoots are large this year, after it is treated for leaf miners I will be able to take cuttings.
63-1.jpg

This must be the eggs or something, the poor tree is COVERED in them!
64-1.jpg

65-1.jpg

The attack has begun, but it has not broken out like this everywhere yet, so I'm assuming I should give it more time before application of Talstar?
66-1.jpg

Not doing too good here people! Untreated as is there are less leaf miners this year (not sure if that is because of the canopy level raise). But on the flip side I am having horrible lower trunk problems (not sure if that is because of the exposed crotch now after the canopy raise).
IMG_8596.jpg

This spot is new, you see I don't know if the tree is just fluxing from overall weakness or maybe some of these areas are wounds that did not heal correctly/fast enough, became soft and took on insects/borers and THOSE are what is causing the fluxing (I think it's flux, the ants and bees seem to like it so it must be sweet)
IMG_8597.jpg

The limb the power company removed 5+ years ago is also looking pretty dank, I don't know what to do! Clearly it can not do it on it's own:
IMG_8605.jpg

IMG_8608.jpg

This is the mysterious small fluxing area from last year, looking worse this year...
58-1.jpg

IMG_8611.jpg

These are what I believe to be borer holes in the deadwood of the largest wound??
IMG_8603.jpg

IMG_8591.jpg

IMG_8590.jpg

IMG_8588.jpg

IMG_8587.jpg

There is this dead beetle on the opposite side of the tree, MUCH larger than any hole (like a huge bumble bee)
IMG_8620.jpg

Awwwwwww ****!

Stupid ass fluckin gas company "UNITIL" found a leak in their century old pipeline running to the house. I really had it out with them until the officer directing traffic stepped in and asked if there were any problems. The town is the one who hacked a limb off without leaving a collar and now there are serious problems. I saw the backhoe shaking the tree from down the street at my grandparents and I was down there like a fly on a piece of ****.
IMG_8730.jpg

IMG_8741.jpg

IMG_8738.jpg

They really f-ed that tree up! If that was my tree i'd be tearing someone a new #######!

PFE, thats not good. You gotta perform some triage. Can you still get in that hole to clean up those rip cuts? Give her water and hope shes sturdy.

I'm so mad, if this tree dies I'm completely destroying the company name and going after the town. This is the healthy side of the tree and I probably wont be able to cut those roots, it's already under stress so if it died they would be paying for the full removal. If this was a historically protected tree I could have acted, I mean... it IS historical but there is no way to protect it. Will this affect using pesticides now?

Will this affect using pesticides now?

Fall application of immidacloprid for the leaf miner issue? Stressed trees are even more susceptible to infection and infestation. Be sure to follow the label.

It would be worth the effort to dig out the soil to make those proper cuts on the torn roots. Think of all that ragged torn surface area allowing all kinds of free entry to unwanted organisms.

I don't think I can legally dig their gas line back up. I sent them down to the local farm to grab a bunch of bags of natural compost/manure mix, hopefully it will help. Also the pesticide I planned on applying this week I misread the label it says "spring-fall" so that must mean THROUGH, the only problem with that is I am not supposed to water it too often as to not delude the pesticide faster than the tree can use it, so how am I going to keep it well hydrated now?

I don't think I can legally dig their gas line back up. I sent them down to the local farm to grab a bunch of bags of natural compost/manure mix, hopefully it will help. Also the pesticide I planned on applying this week I misread the label it says "spring-fall" so that must mean THROUGH, the only problem with that is I am not supposed to water it too often as to not delude the pesticide faster than the tree can use it, so how am I going to keep it well hydrated now?

Not all the way down to the gas line just to the roots. Take off the 10 - 12" of soil to the roots and clean up the cuts, fill the soil back in. 20 minutes and you have done much good.

Imidacloprid takes time to be absorbed and then move throughout the tissues so we apply it well before its needed as stated on label.
"I am not supposed to water it too often as to not delude the pesticide faster than the tree can use it" Could the label be referring to a saturated soil at time of application when it speaks of dilution? You want the soil to be wet not saturated. After chemical uptake, water the tree as needed. Its imidacloprids water solubility that allows it to move in sap throughout a tree.

Latest posts

Back