Rate my companies shaping job

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ouch, not good . That looks like a pear tree . If it is it will come back but stripping all the branches of the inner growth and stub pruning the way you did will just encourage it to grow back bushier and twice as thick . A good arborist skilled in proper pruning could have easily reduced the height and width of that tree without making it looked like it was raped with a chainsaw. You really need to do some homework on proper pruning. You do that kind of a job on some softwood trees but if you do that to a good hardwood tree you will have an unhappy homeowner when it fails to leaf out and the result is a dead skeleton of a tree .

Sorry for getting on your case but you asked. As a retired arborist I have seen more bad pruning than good and it looks like things haven't changed much .

tell yeah what,,i seen a locust topped a few years ago in a town 30 miles from me..thought it would die...nope!!! the next year, that thing branched out all over,,and is thriving again

A lot of people think that a topped tree is thriving when the tree is trying to save itself and recover from having its food supply cut off. Topping generally leads to terrible structure and decay which presents problems years later.
It is hard to convince customers to not top trees because they see green and think the tree is doing great when in actuality they made it worse in the long run.

Get back to p&r where you belong del the fail

You in another thread are begging for low cost tree climbing equipment.

Don't you want to learn a little bit about trees?

Arborist on this forum offer educational information for free. You should take advantage or it.

I bet you don't know squat about trees.

The tree shown is butchered and earns an F.

This has Trolling written all over it.. Everyone knows that’s a terrible job..
Yeah...I thought it was a joke when I saw the first post.

If it wasn't, I'd just say if you want to be a tree care company, learn about trees first. Look up "topping" as a place to start and work back from there.

A little tree trivia . Anyone know how this practice of topping trees got started . It is a practice that dates back to Medieval times. It really has nothing to do with the actual pruning of trees . It was done by peasants to ensure a supply of firewood for cooking and probably heating .

On another note there is a small scrubby type of tree that grows native in Europe that is called a Hedge Maple. This tree looks similar to our Boxelder trees because Boxelder is a member of the Maple tree family . This Hedge Maple tree was used to fence in small livestock because it grew back so thick after the repeated practice of topping . I don't how true this is but it is just some trivia I picked up . I have some of these Hedge Maples growing on my place and I can see how these trees could lend themselves to be used as living fence kind of similar to the way we used Osage Orange sometimes only no thorns.

I'm not sure that is how the practice of topping as we see it today originated... but that those are facts (at least as I've been taught as well!).

The people were not allowed to harvest trees as they all belonged to the king. However they needed wood to cook and heat so they'd take all the branches. Notably, that was drastically different than today's topping in a few ways: They'd cut more frequently, cut smaller branches and everything was closer to the ground.

I hear what your saying ATH. I would venture that the practice of topping carries over from the evolution of fruit tree production mainly apples to keep trees at a specific height for harvesting. Another way this practice of topping got started was from wind damaged trees that failed in high winds and ended up on top roofs of houses. So naturally the trees are "too tall" and need to be topped to prevent storm damage.

The average person doesn't know what good tree pruning should look like when it comes to reduction type pruning. They talk to others and this word topping or topped gets mentioned because it is such a common term used when it comes to tree work. The average person has no clue to what that translates into when it comes to their trees and what they will look like when the work is done. I had to educate many people about this and they appreciated my honesty because they didn't want their trees looking like a hat rack in the front yard not to mention the evils of topping does to a tree in the future. Some people just don't care because topping a tree doesn't require much skill and is cheaper than paying for a well performed pruning job that in the end the average person can't tell that the tree was even pruned to achive a specific goal.

I wondered when the pollarding would be mentioned . I always relied on Mrs. Ax input on tree pruning because she never had a clue about this. She couldn't see the difference between pollarding and topping . Every time we passed a topped tree she said that someone was "pollarding":lol:

Back