Rate my saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Ron

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All.... over the last few years I have accumulated a number of chainsaws and I am trying to decide which ones to keep and which ones to sell off. Here's what I've got:

Huskvarna 455 Rancher 20"bar
Stihl 026 18" bar
Stihl MS291 20" bar
Stihl MS361 20" bar
Stihl 056 AV Super 24" bar
Echo CS-3450 16" bar

I've been using the 026 the most recently and generally I'm just cutting firewood and felling the occasional tree. Do any of these saws stand out as a front runner (especially among the 20" bar saws)? The Huskvarna was purchased new and has given me some problems... I had to have the cracked block replaced under warranty and lost a bit of faith in that saw ever since. Any guidance from those with superior knowledge and experience would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hello All.... over the last few years I have accumulated a number of chainsaws and I am trying to decide which ones to keep and which ones to sell off. Here's what I've got:

Huskvarna 455 Rancher 20"bar
Stihl 026 18" bar
Stihl MS291 20" bar
Stihl MS361 20" bar
Stihl 056 AV Super 24" bar
Echo CS-3450 16" bar

I've been using the 026 the most recently and generally I'm just cutting firewood and felling the occasional tree. Do any of these saws stand out as a front runner (especially among the 20" bar saws)? The Huskvarna was purchased new and has given me some problems... I had to have the cracked block replaced under warranty and lost a bit of faith in that saw ever since. Any guidance from those with superior knowledge and experience would be appreciated. Thank you!
keep 026 and 361 sell the rest! )56 for nostalgias' sake if it is in good shape

Thanks for all the responses fellas:bowdown:! These types of responses were exactly what I was hoping for because from reading through the forums and posts I realize there are stark differences between models. I hope to have the huskvarna and 291 on CL by days end. :dancing:

361 would be a keep as a good firewood saw. The 026 for pruning/truck saw. 056 for larger stuff, though the 361 will pull a 24" bar fine. 291... meh...

455... meh. I'm not a big fan, homejobber saw like the 291.

Dunno one the Echo, only have seen 1 in ~5 years and whatever model it was was junk. Bar adjuster screw was made out of cheese... like it came in to be replaced amoung other things, I replaced it and actually stripped it first use tightening it... and no, I wasn't going mongo on it!

Back