Rayco 1625 Super Jr

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PJP

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I bought a used rayco super jr a while back. It's been sitting for a little bit as I am mainly doing tree work. However, I have some jobs coming up that require grinding. Right now is a stock set up with stock pockets & teeth. They need to be replaced so looked in to getting Green Teeth. I have three options to choose from:

1. A straight change out to green teeth with existing wheel, belts, sheave, etc.

2. performance upgrade with new sheave, belts, and 900 series teeth

3. performance upgrade with all of the above a different wheel

My business is about 75% tree work and 25% grinding so I don't grind all to much. Does anyone have any experience with any of the above set ups and is it worth getting the performance upgrades? Thanks so much!

I have another thread on this exact machine dollar for dollar i think the conversion to 700 series green teeth to be my best upgrade thus far.

Hey guys,

I bought a used rayco super jr a while back. It's been sitting for a little bit as I am mainly doing tree work. However, I have some jobs coming up that require grinding. Right now is a stock set up with stock pockets & teeth. They need to be replaced so looked in to getting Green Teeth. I have three options to choose from:

1. A straight change out to green teeth with existing wheel, belts, sheave, etc.

My business is about 75% tree work and 25% grinding so I don't grind all to much. Does anyone have any experience with any of the above set ups and is it worth getting the performance upgrades? Thanks so much!
If you dont grind much go with the cheapest option.

Hey guys,

I bought a 1625 Super Jr new in 2010. Used stock Rayco teeth up until a couple of years ago but then switched over to GreenTeeth. 700 series low pro pockets and using either Reds or WearSharp teeth. Although the Rayco teeth seemed to work well, changing over to the GreenTeeth setup (pockets and teeth) has been a huge improvement.

The 700 series Greenteeth are made for machines of that size, horsepower, and cutting wheel diameter.

How are the Greenteeth and superior to the traditional teeth?

I would prefer to know how they are better on these categories of comparison:
  1. Price per tooth
  2. Ease of exchanging the teeth
  3. Speed of grinding
  4. longevity of tooth overall
  5. longevity of tooth before maintenance (rotating tooth, etc)
I have often considered using that variety of tooth, but that would require an entirely new wheel, which isn't going to be cheap. The original teeth that my grinder came with had square shanks and rounded teeth. I have since replaced them with square-tooth carbide cutters that actually cut a stump much faster & use less horsepower, but they also get dull much quicker. We manage the sharpness of the teeth by grinding them sharp while still mounted on the wheel. (we use a diamond wheel mounted on a 4 inch angle grinder) It takes about 10 minutes to sharpen all 18 teeth, and can be done on a jobsite with a battery operated grinder.

Overall, I am rather pleased with the set up, because we get a lot of wear out of each tooth, the price is much lower than any other variety of tooth I have found, and it cuts very quickly so long as we keep them sharp.

The big attraction of green teeth, in my opinion, is there’s 3 cutting edges on every tooth. If it dulls, loosen the nut a little, rotate the tooth 1/3 of a turn and tighten it back up.

Your battery angle grinder with diamond wheel is a sweet plan as well. I like the sound of that.

I'm a Green Teeth dealer and I'll try to answer all of your questions.

1-Price per Tooth 700's $8.95 Pockets $8.95 Bolts $2.50 20hp-35hp 900's Tooth $10.95 Pockets $9.95 Bolts $2.50 37hp-98hp 1100's Tooth $13.95 Pockets $11.25 Green Bolts $2.50 99hp and up.
2-Simply loosen the nut on top of the tooth and drop the tooth a hair and turn it to a new edge and tighten the nut. You have to gauge the square shank tooth and that isn't needed with Green Teeth.
3-You wouldn't notice a change in speed of grinding. I always tell customers, don't take a very big bite and be smooth. Your grinder will last longer!
4-Very tough question. You have many factors when grinding such as the type of wood, rocky terrain, soil type, etc. Rocks aren't good for grinder teeth.
5-Again, a very tough question and all of the above apply. In the south, pines are tough to grind as they're very sappy. I would much rather do an oak.

I sell about 15 different kinds of teeth and I must say, Green Teeth is my best seller by far over any other style. When you replace the square shank teeth, you have to loosen the pocket bolts and gauge the tooth into the pocket. For high horsepower machines, if you have the tooth out too far, it will fold back and you'll need a new one. You get 3 uses out of Green Teeth. I sell a USA made version of the square shank teeth for $4.25 each. The Green Teeth prices for 700's and 900's are actually less expensive than 3 of the square shank teeth. You can also sharpen Green Teeth with a diamond wheel as well.

I hope this helps you get a better understanding of Green Teeth.

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Back