Rayco 1625 tooth depth?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schatzie

Reaction score
I just got a used rayco super junior grinder. I bought new teeth but am not sure what depth to set them at. I have a gauge that came with the grinder but I don't know what depth to use for new teeth. Any help would be great. Thanks.:greenchainsaw:

I used to have a gauge for my old 1620 but didn't get one with my 1625. I use standard teeth on mine and set them at 1 1/4" from the pocket to outside edge of the tooth.

The 9 tooth-positions on the old style wheel are set at different depths with a special guage tool. You can tell if you have the old style wheel if all the bolt holes on the wheel are drilled the same distance from the rim of the wheel. I have a chart at my office I can fax you if you PM me with your fax number.

I have great results buying a cheaper variety of tooth on my old-style 1625: SQUARE "economy" teeth that use much less hp to cut through the wood. Obviously, they don't tolerate rocks as well as the round teeth, so there are trade offs.

Newer versions of the 1625 have spiral mounted pockets; I don't know the mounting instructions on those.

pdqdl,
I too have had very good results with the old style teeth. I am a firm believer of the KISS principal. I am switching back to the 1/2 inch econo teeth. I am using a Vermeer 252 and the wheel is 1/2 thick with the holes for the pockets are at different distances from the outer rim of the wheel. I would think that these new pockets and econo teeth can be set at the same depth in the pockets as the pockets are mounted is the existing drilled holes in the wheel. Perhaps the proper depth is 1 1/4 that Toddppm is using. I don't think I would want to go any longer then that for fear of bending the tooth shanks too often. I only cut about 1/2 to 3/4 inch at a pass. What is the dept distance on your chart. I don't have a fax. Is there a way you could e mail a copy of your chart? Thanks for your help.
Have fun,
buckshot

Back