Reading a degree wheel (pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Rat, I ain't that smart. Guys were already doing it when I started doing it. In fact, if you look at an old copy of Gordon Jennings book on Two-Stroke Tuning you will see where he mentioned the mod and gave an illustration of how to do it.

LOLOL!!! Yeah Terry I raced 250CC class Moto cross bikes, 100 CC Yammy karts in the 70's.. and oh yeah R/C boats, I still have the same book by Mr. Jennings and read it also,,, I knew exactly where You learned it from,,,, Good on ya,,,, River rat rep for ya!!!!

Ok, Im having a brain fart here.....does it make a difference what side you put the degree wheel on? Meaning flywheel side or clutch side? I wouldnt think so as long as your turning the motor in the direction that it runs correct?

Ok, Im having a brain fart here.....does it make a difference what side you put the degree wheel on? Meaning flywheel side or clutch side? I wouldnt think so as long as your turning the motor in the direction that it runs correct?

That's correct and it really don't matter wich way you turn it as long as you start from TDC. The ports are gonna open & close the same either way.

Last edited:
This is just great....just great......Thanks Stumpy.
Since I found this thread, I've ordered a 12" degree wheel,reading my downloaded copy of Two Stroke Tuners Handbook and I'm trying to remember where I put that spare drill chuck........

I really thought I had CAD under control ..............Geez.

Oh well Merry Christmas All !!!!

Stumpy, I dont think your photobucket is posting pictures anymore haha.

Anywho where did you get your chuck for your degree wheel? I need one :)

Couple more questions, Im experimenting with a wild thang next week. And I was wanting to know what you would recommend doing to it? Raising ports? How would you open the transfers? take out the plate in the transfers? Pop up? Windows? :dizzy:

Thanks old bud.
P.S i got a chance at the 090 ;)

Those drill chucks are available at northern tool and hydraulics, lowes, and other places like that. Northern was $5 cheaper than lowes when I got mine.

Stumpy, I dont think your photobucket is posting pictures anymore haha.

Anywho where did you get your chuck for your degree wheel? I need one :)

Couple more questions, Im experimenting with a wild thang next week. And I was wanting to know what you would recommend doing to it? Raising ports? How would you open the transfers? take out the plate in the transfers? Pop up? Windows? :dizzy:

Thanks old bud.
P.S i got a chance at the 090 ;)
For some reason the HTML code got turned off, so my pics won't show up.
Thanks for buyin a ticket buddy.

I got mine from Harbor Freight. I don't remember what it cost. Pretty cheap if I bought it:msp_biggrin:

For some reason the HTML code got turned off, so my pics won't show up.
Thanks for buyin a ticket buddy.

I got mine from Harbor Freight. I don't remember what it cost. Pretty cheap if I bought it:msp_biggrin:

Hmm.. I need to run to HF for tools anyway! A small dremnal for the port work. parts cleaner :)

How are things going down your way?
Also dont remember if I told you...
Remember the 181 husky I was working on last spring? I got it running and found what was wrong with it. There was a chip in the Piston that I did not see, smack in the middle of the intake, causing it to free port. There for giving it no power and run like crap :)
New piston, and she runs like a champ

Hmm.. I need to run to HF for tools anyway! A small dremnal for the port work. parts cleaner :)

How are things going down your way?
Also dont remember if I told you...
Remember the 181 husky I was working on last spring? I got it running and found what was wrong with it. There was a chip in the Piston that I did not see, smack in the middle of the intake, causing it to free port. There for giving it no power and run like crap :)
New piston, and she runs like a champ

Things are good. Good to hear about the 181. It's always the lil things that'll git ya.

turn the wheel all the way to the right take a reading then to the left & take the reading then use the math to find where you need to set it at. Make sure the reading is the same each way before you remove the stop. If the reading is the same then yer wheel is zeroed on the crank.
huang4.jpg

huang3.jpg

3.jpg

Latest posts

Back