Ready for storm damage?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huskybill

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
does anyone keep there saws serviced, gassed up and ready to go if we get a storm with tree down? Usually mine are in the house in a plastic bag ready to go.

Both my generators are ready too one for the fridge and freezer and one for my Keirig coffee maker. Gotta have the caffeine fix.

I say this because we had a freak snowstorm in one October i was ready. The leaves were still on the trees. We lost power for over 7 days after cleaning up I just sipped my coffee. It’s a nice feeling to beready when disaster strikes. I always said what if a hurricane was snow this time was really close. My old 55 Willy’s Jeep was plowing.

I usually keep my Dolkita 6401 and Husky 390XP ready to roll. My Dad has a 12 mile mtn bike trail he maintains and trees fall quite often. Typically trees he can get with his 36cc Husky but sometimes a big oak or hickory will fall and he will text me “need big saw”. :D

I had a forest ranger contact me because he knew I had two big saws. It was a giant very old maple tree the hurricane Gloria took down. Like seven cords of wood from that tree alone. What a mess. The road was closed and he had to give out home owner firewood permits soon.
He needed the road open ASAP.

It’s in a neighborhood we’re movie stars retire. I had old elderly lady not sure who she was come by to meet the guy who was cutting this big tree. It was along her property line with the state forest. I’m sorry today I never asked whom she was, I figure she was old enough to be in silent movies. It’s funny that even the movie stars of today pick rural ct to retire.

Yes i just rode out dorian and Florence. In truck I had 4 saws,gas,oil and my tool kit. After Florence I had to cut my way out and the whole
neighborhood,it was bad. So yes I keep a saw in the truck.

Attachments

• 20190907_020925.jpg
    20190907_020925.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20190907_021207.jpg
    20190907_021207.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 15
When i worked for the country road dept, my boss would call me to meet him at the shop, we had a tree down at such and such location. I'd ask if wanted to pick me up , at our house, my saw was ready to go, i had gas, oil, sharp chain on it, and i knew it ran and sawed good. Plus i had chaps and a good bright light. My saw was, and still is a 044 , 99% of the time he'd go for it, saved us time rounding the saw, gas, oil, etc up at the shop. Plus depending who used the saw last, the chain could have been a wreck, and no gas mixed up. I still have things like that all ready to go, and i've been retired for 8 years this october, lol.

Keep 2 ready to rock and soon to be all 4 with the cheapo 4218 as a loaner. Don't keep one in the truck unless it just stormed bad.

I usually have my cheapo Poulan 3314 fueled/ oiled and ready to go for emergencies. I work road patrol for a rural county in Northern Michigan and we frequently get strong winds in the Spring and Fall. Its not uncommon to spend an entire shift going from one alarm to another while cutting fallen trees along the way.

We are currently riding out hurricane Dorian here now. I always have 5 saws fueled up, chains sharpened on them and 40 saws ready to go if needed, just add fuel n oil. Well over 300' of new chain and 65 loops of various sized for all of the saws hanging ready if needed. Last hurricane I had 15 saws loaned out and 10 of mine with me cutting every day for a 30 day stretch. Morning after the hurricane blew through, Monday- Friday I cut from daylight til an hour after sundown right in my own neighborhood, next three weeks was cutting my friends and many that wanted to be my friend that had trees on house roofs and clearing driveways out, rural driveways could be 1/2 mile or more long. Have 15 gallons of gas in cans, 5 gallons of diesel, all vehicle tanks full and 100 lbs of propane for the propane stove and barbecue.

I say this because we had a freak snowstorm in one October i was ready. The leaves were still on the trees.

LOTS of people were without power from that storm! 2011 nor’easter, trees down everywhere.

I'm sure it depends on location. Where I live we don't have many blow downs, but I have been in parts of the country where blow downs are the norm and happen almost every time the wind exceeds 20mph.
Where I live the county keeps on top of any blow downs that block the roads so no need to keep a saw in the truck. Gassing and oiling up a saw takes all of 5 min so no, I don't keep then ready to go.

Back