Ready To Do My First Porting.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been studying porting saws for months. I have watched dozens of YT videos, some great and some not so good. I've watched Smithy, Tinman, Mastermind, Donnie and others.
I've also read everything I could find. I've looked at hundreds of post and pictures here and elsewhere.
I have all the bits and tools.
I believe I'm ready, but I will probably be back to ask a stupid question.
My first will be a 046.

20210211_214152.jpg

20210211_214059.jpg

Don't lower the floor on exhaust, don't raise the roof on intake.

Should the degrees be equal for in/out duration?

I want Power but a long-lasting reliable chainsaw is much more preferred.

I realize I'm not the smartest guy that has ever walked this planet, but this video is one that actually made sense to me.

I tried watching other videos and it drives me insane how they cannot get to the point or give any kind of math. Not there to hang out with a buddy, I'm there to learn something and even some of the videos that I played on two times the speed just never getting to the point.

So if anybody feels that they have a firm understanding of porting please chime in.

What I'm looking for is this degree should match this degree, should not go more than this or that.

I don't care about the word salad for Squish and blow down and all that type of stuff, I understand that. Yes I know make the openings wider and not taller so you don't screw up your rings.

What I want to do is the best intake to exhaust ratio. I use Husqvarnas and I don't play around with the spark timing.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, I have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment and I'm not really here to hang out or be one of the boys. I want to know what I'm doing and not just do what I know. Savvy?

Don't lower the floor on exhaust, don't raise the roof on intake.

Should the degrees be equal for in/out duration?

I want Power but a long-lasting reliable chainsaw is much more preferred.

I realize I'm not the smartest guy that has ever walked this planet, but this video is one that actually made sense to me.

I tried watching other videos and it drives me insane how they cannot get to the point or give any kind of math. Not there to hang out with a buddy, I'm there to learn something and even some of the videos that I played on two times the speed just never getting to the point.

So if anybody feels that they have a firm understanding of porting please chime in.

What I'm looking for is this degree should match this degree, should not go more than this or that.

I don't care about the word salad for Squish and blow down and all that type of stuff, I understand that. Yes I know make the openings wider and not taller so you don't screw up your rings.

What I want to do is the best intake to exhaust ratio. I use Husqvarnas and I don't play around with the spark timing.

Sorry to sound like a jerk, I have a lot of irons in the fire at the moment and I'm not really here to hang out or be one of the boys. I want to know what I'm doing and not just do what I know. Savvy?

Smitty's Chainsaws and Firewood and Tinman's Saws on YT saved my sanity. Both have given classes on porting for the beginner.
Smitty and Tinman are what made it click and make sense to me.
I can't put it into words, but I have a general understanding of what I'm doing now.
GL

ct: given that you have all your tools in a row, done you homework and are motivated to do the project...

"measure twice, cut once!" (ie, first saw, be a bit conservative)

good luck with your 046 porting project! looking fwd to seeing your pix of handiwork come together. i have ported everything from chevie intake manifolds, Model B hot rod 4-banger intakes, engine decks, cyl heads, and a couple of saws, too... and yes, even some plumbing on my kitchen sink. went from slow drain to gushing whirlpool drain! yes, proof... porting works! lol
1620744253497.png

oh yeah almost forgot to mention... even have ported a can or :givebeer: or two...

but never ported drinking one!
:muscle:

ct: given that you have all your tools in a row, done you homework and are motivated to do the project...

"measure twice, cut once!" (ie, first saw, be a bit conservative)

good luck with your 046 porting project! looking fwd to seeing your pix of handiwork come together. i have ported everything from chevie intake manifolds, Model B hot rod 4-banger intakes, engine decks, cyl heads, and a couple of saws, too... and yes, even some plumbing on my kitchen sink. went from slow drain to gushing whirlpool drain! yes, proof... porting works! lol
View attachment 906203

oh yeah almost forgot to mention... even have ported a can or :givebeer: or two...

but never ported drinking one!
:muscle:
Thanks. I have the 046 almost done. I lost count on how many times I checked the measurements.
Reducing the squish was a chore and I will post a vid about how I did it.
Spring time has slowed down my saw projects.

Smitty's Chainsaws and Firewood and Tinman's Saws on YT saved my sanity. Both have given classes on porting for the beginner.
Smitty and Tinman are what made it click and make sense to me.
I can't put it into words, but I have a general understanding of what I'm doing now.
GL
I've been watching a lot of TinMan lately oh, he reminds me a lot of my friend.

So I've come to realize that there are no hard-and-fast rules and all I really do is try to keep a similar flow in and out.

I'm doing a 268xp right now I've made my own little stand off for my degree wHeel using two M10 x 1 nut and a 40mm M10 x 1 bolt.

I've been watching a lot of TinMan lately oh, he reminds me a lot of my friend.

So I've come to realize that there are no hard-and-fast rules and all I really do is try to keep a similar flow in and out.

I'm doing a 268xp right now I've made my own little stand off for my degree wHeel using two M10 x 1 nut and a 40mm M10 x 1 bolt.
I'm taking it slowly on my first one. A Stihl 046.
I just published a vid on how I reduced the squish by hand.
Good luck with the 268xp.

Everyone already mentioned Tinman, in any doubt go through his play list, he is super informative and where he can help he will try his best to get to folks about questions, he's local and he seems to be a fella, straight out and reasonable and not in the ******* way he's a just a straight up feller sharing experience and knowledge and likes a gooder laugh lol

I mount my timing wheel the same way with a drill chuck but mine gives a little different. Trying to upload a video, but video doesn't show I use a sway arm bushing with a bolt to hold it in place on the excess shaft so I can spin it or hold it while turning and tightening the timing wheel

Everyone already mentioned Tinman, in any doubt go through his play list, he is super informative and where he can help he will try his best to get to folks about questions, he's local and he seems to be a fella, straight out and reasonable and not in the ******* way he's a just a straight up feller sharing experience and knowledge and likes a gooder laugh lol

I mount my timing wheel the same way with a drill chuck but mine gives a little different. Trying to upload a video, but video doesn't show I use a sway arm bushing with a bolt to hold it in place on the excess shaft so I can spin it or hold it while turning and tightening the timing wheel
I watch every vid Tinman and Smitty upload, plus new comer Mac 131. All 3 are great guys that want to help anyone new to chainsaw build.

I got the idea for my timing wheel mount from Tinman.

Back