Real men don't wear ear plugs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn’t used to wear gloves, but my hands got soft after retiring, not only that but I hate grabbing a big ole gob of pitch!:cool:

I seldom ever wore gloves before turning 60, hands were much tougher back then, last few years I will wear them in the worst types of weather. If its dry and cold I will mostly skip wearing them, cold and wet is much worse for me now and that is when I appreciate my Arctic handles the most also. Handling soggy ice covered wood is much easier wearing gloves now. Ear protection, well when or if I think of it, sometimers ya know.

Ear plugs are not as effective at blocking damaging sound as muffs. The combo helmet and ear muffs are really handy. I have one from Husky and both the helmet and the muffs are comfortable. Besides being more effective and comfortable, the muffs flip up easily when you don't need them. Can be done with gloves on unlike ear plugs where I have to take the gloves off first.

Over the ear muffs are better than ear plugs in the long run. The plugs can cause a backup of wax and gunk in the ear that will then require a visit to a clinic and a trained nurse to remove it. The Doc told me that has happened a dozen or more times a year for his patients alone. You would be surprised at how much wax build-up can get in there.

I won't even mow the grass without ear plugs and safety glasses.

My brother on the other hand operates a saw mill, chainsaw and shoots his guns without any protection at all.
He's 52 and his favorite word is WHAT ? WHAT ?
I say what about 100 times a day or more. Wear the hearing protectors.

Over the ear muffs are better than ear plugs in the long run. The plugs can cause a backup of wax and gunk in the ear that will then require a visit to a clinic and a trained nurse to remove it. The Doc told me that has happened a dozen or more times a year for his patients alone. You would be surprised at how much wax build-up can get in there.
This has happened to me! I always used ear plugs to protect my hearing until this happened. Now I use mouse cancelling muffs with built-in blue tooth so I can listen to music while wearing them.

Ive been to dozens of rock/metal concerts, right in the front row, wore ear plugs to damn near every one (regretted the ones where i didnt have em). I dont give a **** what anybody thinks, theyre my ears and they work fine and i intend to keep it that way. Also, have used earplugs for close to 20 years almost exclusively (vs earmuffs), never had a trip to the doctor for earwax problems.

I like the surefire brand EP4 sonic defender plugs. Designed for shooting. Work great for cutting too. Can easily hear somone or something walking up behind you. Without the saw running of course. Only $13 a pair.

Hearing protection is what we call don't be Dan's. Dan is the old school mechanic in the shop who is now legally def from not using hearing protection. Don't be Dan wear PPE.

and don't forget ol Joe... the welder... he welded mufflers and tailpipes for over 45 years... no welding goggles! has been legally blind since 40! for awhile he wore sunglasses... $1.98 from local drugstore...

any time I had exhaust work done, I insisted the welder wear goggles. welding goggles. not sunglasses. if they refused, I had them lower my vehicle and left...

but, the best one was my pal Soapy. he was the spittin' image of: :blob2: once he had his big ol Lincoln up for some service... din't like the way the mechanic was doing the job... so he started his famous dance.... :blob2::blob2::blob2:storming about the shop area... 'Git my ******n car down now!! NOW!!! ... or I am gunna F somebody up!!!

they couldn't get it down off the lift fast enough...

really! u din't ever want to git on Soapy's bad side... lol ;)

Joe, the Muffler Man welder

zwd.jpg

Latest posts

Back