Real World Cutting-Oregon LGX vs EXL vs Stihl RS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just got a couple loops of chain from @dsell (great guy and great prices btw). One loop of LGX which has been my go to chain and one loop of EXL which I’ve not personally used before. The EXL looks very cool, I’m excited to try them back to back and also compare to Stihl RS.

View attachment 765340 View attachment 765342
What saw do you run the 20" bar on? I run 20 and 24. BTW, I loaded up on LGX back when Left Coast Supply had unspeakable deals.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

What saw do you run the 20" bar on? I run 20 and 24. BTW, I loaded up on LGX back when Left Coast Supply had unspeakable deals.

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk
Well I recently bought a Stihl large mount bar from a Philbert and bar adaptors for Husky large mount, Homelite large mount, and Echo/McC large mount from Homelite410. Primarily it will be run on my 268 and one of my Super XL’s.

I like EXL. I just got some loops of some older Carlton with a real tall tooth I can't wait to use. @chipper1 gave me a loop of it with a bar this summer that I've had on the 562. What a great package!
Wait, did I know I gave it to you :laughing:.
I like the EXL, ran a 24" loop I just sharpened today on the ported 2166 in a pine that was over 24, lots of fun.

Could you notice the difference between it and the LGX?
EXL is quicker out of the box, but harder to reproduce the same speed in cutting out of the box(with filing unless it's square). The LGX can be made to cut faster than out of the box hitting it with a file, but I think the EXL is still a bit quicker, and since it holds an edge longer it stays faster longer. The EXL is a good bit harder to file is what I've experienced, which take a little away from your cut times. Seems there's always a tradeoff.

Well looks like Buckin Billy Ray beat me to it.

Spoiler-the EXL cut a little faster after he adjusted the rakers on both. But they were close.

I'd suspect the Oregon would beat the stihl out of the box just fine without hitting the rakers in hardwood.
Looking forward to hearing what you think about them.

Back