Really like the Helko Pro Series Splitting Axe- 28" Length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maul ratt

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I think I found my new go-to axe/maul for splitting the middle size rounds. The Helko Pro Series Splitting Axe with a 3.75 lb head is something I can swing all day long and does a great job. If I'm busting up big rounds, I go to the Helko Vario 2000 Heavy Wood Splitter. Please check out this video and share your thoughts...

Good to see you back around here Maul Ratt! I'll definitely check out your review.
Thanks SVK, I'm processing a lot of firewood lately and want to see what my Arboristsite friends are talking about.

Maul ratt, I just got one of these a few months ago and like it a lot. I kind of wish it had a 31" handle option like the GB splitting axe does. Still a very nicely made axe.

Maul ratt, I just got one of these a few months ago and like it a lot. I kind of wish it had a 31" handle option like the GB splitting axe does. Still a very nicely made axe.
I'm hoping to try a GB someday soon. When I'm splitting the big rounds, the 36" handle is a must. The 28" works fine for the medium size and shorter swings, even for a taller guy like myself.

I'm hoping to try a GB someday soon. When I'm splitting the big rounds, the 36" handle is a must. The 28" works fine for the medium size and shorter swings, even for a taller guy like myself.

I love my GB splitting maul. 32", 5.5# head. Seems just perfect. Enough length and weight for a powerful swing when you need to go all out. Short enough not to hit you in the nuts or shins when you choke up on it. Light enough to swing for a couple hours without getting beat up, and you can place it right where you want it. Holds a darned good edge too. Mine could use a touch up, but it hasn't seen a stone in at least 25 cords, and I split on the ground.

It was my go-to until last weekend even I upgraded a little bit...rps20170516_212859_876.jpg

I like the looks of that axe. I wish I could test drive it. I just started splitting my firewood for this coming year, I'm a couple months behind. Only 5.3 cord left! I use my Fiskars X27 and the fiskars ISOcore maul. I love the X27 but wish it was one pound heavier or just something in between the two as it's quite a larger gap.

I love my GB splitting maul. 32", 5.5# head. Seems just perfect. Enough length and weight for a powerful swing when you need to go all out. Short enough not to hit you in the nuts or shins when you choke up on it. Light enough to swing for a couple hours without getting beat up, and you can place it right where you want it. Holds a darned good edge too. Mine could use a touch up, but it hasn't seen a stone in at least 25 cords, and I split on the ground.

It was my go-to until last weekend even I upgraded a little bit...View attachment 579921
Nice upgrade!

Latest posts

Back