Reasons why we don't burn pressure treated wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was just told by a worker at the local lumber yard that they no longer sell galvanized fasteners for the new PT wood. It's too corrosive. Now they only sell ya coated fasteners.

I have often thought about burning treated wood but instinctively knew that it could be dangerous. I'm glad that this information was posted.

If you want to get rid of the wood put a free ad on craigslist. I'm sure that a deer hunter would love to have it for a tree stand.

you should be arrested.

YOU may not be breathing in the toxins, but what about those on the outside???

burning crap in your wood burner is just more fuel for those opposed to wood burning.

dispose of it properly.

He was just asking the question to gather information before he started burining his scrap treated lumber.

He wrote later in the thread that he wasn't going to do it.

In the past I have avoided using pressure teated lumber by using Hemlock lumber instead. It is very rugged and if the surface is treated faithfully over it's life, it lasts just as long as the poisonous pressure treated.

I wouldn't give the guy a hard time for asking what to do with it, at least he had the courtesy to come and ask and not just chuck it in the stove and be done with it.

you should be arrested.

Who are you, the police? Your awful giddy, a guy asks a question and you keep pounding on him like he is the poster child for burning CCA. From what I've read this post was very informative to others that have burned it and didn't know any harmful effects. You should be happy he asked instead of bashing him for trying to do the right thing, lighten up!

I have always separated out treated lumber from my burn piles, etc. The only really safe, legal way to dispose of it (as well as sawdust from cutting or drilling) is as a hazardous waste.

A few years back a big tree fell across a footbridge I'd built across a canyon and destroyed it. I spent a couple weeks out there collecting all the pressure treated splinters, cutting up the big chunks of pressure treated beams (pulled them out of the canyon and sawed them up atop blankets of geotextile fabric laid down to collect the sawdust). It took a while and was a pain in the neck, but I could sit back afterward and realize I had done the right thing to the best of my abilities. All scrap was then disposed of properly, transported to a haz-waste facility. I kept a few of the big blocks of sawn up scrap to use as dunnage.

But I always thought, hell, regular wood smoke is plenty toxic, the CO, CO2 and other stuff will kill you. Never realized the ash was so bad (as well as smoke from PT wood being much worse). At least I can honestly say I've always treated the stuff as safely as possible.

Nowadays, about the only thing you can really legally burn in a burn pile or woodstove or anywhere else is "green waste," natural logs, or chunks of wood specifically made for burning (such as pellets and fireplace logs). Scrap lumber is generally not to be burned, especially if it has any fasteners stuck in it. I still find a few nails in burn piles after I've burned them but I try to keep them out. Painted wood scraps (demolition debris) is also definitely not to be burned.

you should be arrested.
dispose of it properly.

Perhaps you should look into getting a life? :notrolls2:

Back on topic.... Just remember, if you need to cut it up (for disposal or in general), wear a respirator of some sort.

I don't see a problem with burning scrap lumber as long as it is clean; no paint or finish. I also don't see the problem of burning clean wood with nails or screws, the only danger there is in cutting the wood and that is where the Sawzall comes into play. If it is a burn pile where the fasteners can be stepped on or driven on that should be considered.

I'm curious now like others asked how do you get rid of the stuff? I know dumpsters have all sorts of regulations on them but from what I can remember I don't believe PT wood was in the no dump list.

Perhaps you should look into getting a life? :notrolls2:

Back on topic.... Just remember, if you need to cut it up (for disposal or in general), wear a respirator of some sort.

point is, man, that there are many groups out there opposing wood burning and they're growing in numbers every day as wood use becomes more popular. what we don't need are people burning pressure treated wood. hell, even the labels state NOT to burn them.

granted, no one knows what you throw in the fire, but, the last thing you should do is advertise your intentions.

i got a life, and i don't need others throwing carcinogens in the air to shorten it.

granted, no one knows what you throw in the fire, but, the last thing you should do is advertise your intentions.

i got a life, and i don't need others throwing carcinogens in the air to shorten it.

You just don't get it, or you didn't read his post carefully. HE WAS NOT ANNOUNCING INTENTIONS TO DO ANYTHING. HE WAS ASKING FOR ADVICE, WHICH HE RECEIVED FROM MOST OF THE REPLIES.

Call your local sanitation authority/landfill for disposal advice and...don't get any splinters from that **** in your hands!

Back