Rebuilding 026, first time, advice?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wash-climber

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've torn down my 026, non pro.
My plan is to do the crank seals, new piston, and hopefully clean up the oem cylinder. However, I need your help to know if my jug us redeemable. I'll attach some pictures.

If it is redeemable, how do I clean it up?

At what point should I replace the crank bearings? There is no movement from either side.

Is it worth trying to mildly port it while I have it stripped down? Tips?

Is advancing the timing plausible?

I broke one fin off the flywheel, will it be ok? Or should I replace it?

It is a working saw, so I don't want to do anything to lose reliability.

I will do all new fuel lines and carb kit etc. Caged bearings etc.

Who do you order parts from? Are there any good quality rebuild kits? I've seen cheapo kits.. but I want this saw to last.

Thanks for your help!!Screenshot_20180311-115419.jpg Screenshot_20180311-115451.jpg

How much is your time worth?
To save this cylinder you have to sand all the transfer off. I use a 6" 3/8 brass rod that I cut lengthwise at one end. I fold sandpaper and slot it in the cut then put the rod in a variable speed drill. It's basically a poor man's sanding flap wheel. I use 240 grit until most of the streaks are gone, then switch to 400. You have to be careful around the ports not to sand too much. It is totally possible that you will be into this an hour or more before you decide the plating is ruined and the cylinder is junk but you may successfully clean it up.

Or you can buy a new jug and save yourself time and have a guaranteed thing.

Meteor pistons and caber rings are better than OEM in most cases. Meteor cylinders are NOT.

If your bearings have no play I would leave them on a personal saw.

Porting will improve your saw, but it's a long road. "Light" porting isn't worth the time beyond cleaning up casting flaws. Research port widths and timing numbers for this saw and shoot to make it right the first time.

Porting your muffler is easy and will show immediate improvement.

Timing ignition advance is also easy and worth doing. It may require you swap to a fully adjustable carb.

The flywheel will be fine with a busted fin, but it can be replaced cheaply too. If you do a timing advance, do it on the flywheel with the broken fin.

Source parts from friends or the internet. Many parts available on EBay and other sites. The dealership will get expensive Fast.

Good luck!

How much is your time worth?
To save this cylinder you have to sand all the transfer off. I use a 6" 3/8 brass rod that I cut lengthwise at one end. I fold sandpaper and slot it in the cut then put the rod in a variable speed drill. It's basically a poor man's sanding flap wheel. I use 240 grit until most of the streaks are gone, then switch to 400. You have to be careful around the ports not to sand too much. It is totally possible that you will be into this an hour or more before you decide the plating is ruined and the cylinder is junk but you may successfully clean it up.

Or you can buy a new jug and save yourself time and have a guaranteed thing.

Meteor pistons and caber rings are better than OEM in most cases. Meteor cylinders are NOT.

If your bearings have no play I would leave them on a personal saw.

Porting will improve your saw, but it's a long road. "Light" porting isn't worth the time beyond cleaning up casting flaws. Research port widths and timing numbers for this saw and shoot to make it right the first time.

Porting your muffler is easy and will show immediate improvement.

Timing ignition advance is also easy and worth doing. It may require you swap to a fully adjustable carb.

The flywheel will be fine with a busted fin, but it can be replaced cheaply too. If you do a timing advance, do it on the flywheel with the broken fin.

Source parts from friends or the internet. Many parts available on EBay and other sites. The dealership will get expensive Fast.

Good luck!
Thanks so much! I do think my cylinder is better off being replaced, should I find oem? Or just go for after market and run the poo out of it?

Being my first rebuild, I'm skipping the porting, but will do the muffler mod for sure.

Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back